D&S 04 Siphon help

Craig Warton

D&S 04 Siphon help

Postby Craig Warton » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:09 am

I am currently building a D&S 04 Siphon and finding the instructions "challenging" in parts. I blundered my way through the centre axle, but I do not understand how to fit the etched spring hanger brackets. I am probably just being extremely thick today. Can someone please put me out of my misery before the model spends another couple of years on the in progress pile.

Regards,

Craig Warton

David B

Re: D&S 04 Siphon help

Postby David B » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:34 am

The cast J hangers are rather nice with this kit. The hangers are handed with a small turned bit that fits below the bracket whilst the spring rests on the top. In some kits, the turned bit has a bit of wire projecting whilst on others, you have to provide the wire (0.5 or 0.55mm). If the latter, leave a short piece projecting below to make the three diameters.

To position the hangers, which are handed, there is a cranked bit which attaches to the back of the solebar. Where this goes needs care but on the outside of the solebar are small plates with etched rivets which are a good guide. However, check the spacing with a spring. I suggest drilling a small hole top to bottom in the end of the white metal spring through which the bit of wire (in para 1 above) goes. This makes for a stronger connection. Solder the spring from the back with a touch of 100o solder.

The images below should help.

J-hanger-pieces_3836t.jpg
Right hand hangers and the turned bits, with wire on the left, without on the right.

J hanger in situ_3835r.jpg
The turned piece goes underneath the hanger. Wire passes up through the hanger and then the spring (if you have drilled a hole). You could file the wire flush with the top of the hanger and solder the spring on top but I suggest this is a weaker connection.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DougN

Postby DougN » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:19 am

Craig, I have been building a NER luggage van from D&S. I think I know your question As these are etched and a bit of an odd shape. I found I had to bend the tag that goes behind the solebar to hold it in place for soldering. It took me a while to figure out how to install them also.

I'll see if I can get a photo tonight.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

David B

Postby David B » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:20 am

I didn't find any bending necessary for the Siphon kit.

Another shot from the back of the sole bar.

J-hanger-from-back_g3279.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:22 pm

Are those sprung W irons David?

Steve

David B

Postby David B » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:07 pm

steve howe wrote:Are those sprung W irons David?

Yes. Bill Bedford's. Middle axle sprung as well but sliding side to side as per Mark Tatlow. See his Highland Miscellany blog.

DougN

Postby DougN » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:49 pm

Well those ones are quite different to the one's in the NER kit. There is no brass turning either!
Doug

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:55 pm

David and Doug,

Many thanks for the replies and to David in particular for the photos and explanation which make things clear. The idea of the Bill Bedford w-irons is a clever one and I will try that on the next one. I was unhappy with the drag that the centre w-iron caused (it rolled like a brick) so I ran the axle through a section of tube - which gives some sideplay and much better rolling too.

I have also realized that I thought the fold up section between the solebar and upper step was etch and cut it away (grrr!) and am not sure what I will do to rectify that little self created mess.

Hopefully I will get some time tonight to do battle.

Regards,

Craig Warton

DougN

Postby DougN » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:05 pm

Sorry I did mean to get some photos last night... problem of time escaping faster than expected.
Doug

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:07 am

DougN wrote:Sorry I did mean to get some photos last night... problem of time escaping faster than expected.

All good Doug, reality intrudes. It would be hard to cover anything that David had missed too. Even I can work it out now!

Craig Warton

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:39 pm

I came across this range recently, I don't have any personal experience of the kits but it looks interesting:

http://www.diagram3d.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=107

Steve

Return to “Coaches and NPCS”