Hornby GWR clerestories

steve howe

Hornby GWR clerestories

Postby steve howe » Fri May 25, 2018 11:34 pm

Can anyone advise on the Hornby GWR clerestory coaches (not the good old ex. Triang things! the later Edwardian liveried versions) I am looking at a few on Ebay for potential up grading, but never having seen one in the flesh am wondering about their general accuracy, specifically, is the very nice looking panelled livery moulded or just printed? do they conform to any known diagram? and are they capable of being taken apart?

hornby clerestory.jpg

Any pointers gratefully received,

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Philip Hall

Re: Hornby GWR clerestories

Postby Philip Hall » Fri May 25, 2018 11:53 pm

I can tell you that the sides are quite flat, and all the panelling is printed. I would think they would come apart quite easily, being of an age when Hornby carriages were a little less, shall we say, refined.

Philip

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Sat May 26, 2018 4:11 pm

Thanks Phil,

I suppose if these vehicles had been downgraded to branchline work by the early '30s some of them might have retained their earlier livery, I wonder how the printed panelling would stand up to scrutiny under a layer of weathering? :shock:

Steve

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Sun May 27, 2018 7:33 pm

They may have survived until possibly the mid '30s in that livery as I think that was the livery from '22 until '27 and repaints were at roughly 7 year intervals and possibly more for lowly branch line stock.

Phil

Noel

Postby Noel » Mon May 28, 2018 11:00 am

The photograph suggests one of the 40 BTK to diagram D29 of 1899-1904, but it is difficult to tell without more information. Dimensions of D29 were 56ft 1in x 8ft 7ins [over body in both cases, rounding fractions of an inch]. It seems to be an awful lot of coach for, at most, 24 seats, and on most branches the very large van space would presumably have seen only limited use. The type was built for main line express use and would presumably been cascaded to lesser main line services over time, but presumably could have continued on main line stopping or secondary services well into the 1930s, I would have thought, as they would only [!] have been around 30 years old by then [the last survivors went in 1950 according to Russell, presumably after use as service vehicles in some way].
Regards
Noel

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Mon May 28, 2018 1:35 pm

Yes that corroborates the details on the GWR.org forum
http://www.gwr.org.uk/kits4rtrcoaches.html

The Brake was Diag. D29 or possibly D25 and the Compo. is listed as Diag. C15. either way, they would be jolly useful models if Hornby had gone the whole hog and tooled them properly :-x

I have put a call in to 247 Developments who, allegedly, once produced etched overlays for them so if anything comes of it I will share the news - don't hold your breath!

Steve

Return to “Coaches and NPCS”