GWR 7ft Bogies

Jeremy Good

GWR 7ft Bogies

Postby Jeremy Good » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:24 am

Can anyone assist please?

I am in the process of fitting compensated bogies to a Hornby B-Set as part of a quick upgrade - it will eventually get a full new underframe but this is meant to be a quick project!

I'm using Brassmasters CCU's and MJT cast bogie sides but the combination leaves me with a maximum width across the fronts of the axleboxes of around 32.5/33mm. This seems quite wide compared to other bogies and I suspect that the additional width is in the thickness of the MJT castings.

Can anyone advise the correct width for these bogies? I have found a drawing which suggests that they were 6' 5.5" "between plates" but this drawing is not dimensioned and doesn't give me a depth for the axleboxes themselves - I suspect that they would be 9" or 10" deep giving a total width of around 8' or 32mm - is this correct?

On this basis it looks like I'm going to have to thin the castings a little before they are fitted.

Thanks for your help

Jeremy

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: GWR 7ft Bogies

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:00 pm

For plain bearings the journals were commonly 10" long and on 6' 6" centres. With another 1/4" of axle outside the journal you get an axle length of 7' 4.5". Allow another inch each side for the axlebox covers to be clear of the axle ends and you get 7' 6.5" over axleboxes.
Excess width is a common problem when applying cosmetic frames to an etched bogie frame. you can only thin the cosmetic frames as much as possible then live with the result.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Jeremy Good

Re: GWR 7ft Bogies

Postby Jeremy Good » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:01 pm

Thanks Keith.

I've attacked the castings with a big file and got the overall width down to 31.2/31.3mm on the 2 bogies I've done so far - it looks much better. I'm not convinced I can take much more thickness from these particular castings without damaging them!

Jeremy

Return to “Coaches and NPCS”