GWR 9' bogie subframes

steve howe

GWR 9' bogie subframes

Postby steve howe » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:02 pm

I'm looking to build a couple of sets of GWR 'American' 9' bogies using MJT sides and hoping to use Bill Bedford chassis, but the only 9' wheelbase version I can see (from Eileen's) is for an LMS bogie. Anyone know if it is suitable or can be modified?

Steve

billbedford

Re: GWR 9' bogie subframes

Postby billbedford » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:34 am

What is the problem that using the current bogie centre will cause?

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:34 am

Steve

It's all in the name, there's no design difference in any of Bill's excellent sprung bogies - they all look the same. I've used the LMS ones several times on GWR stock, you wouldn't know that there's a difference. Just get a set and you'll see what I mean.

regards

Mike

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:24 pm

Mike Garwood wrote:Steve

It's all in the name, there's no design difference in any of Bill's excellent sprung bogies - they all look the same. I've used the LMS ones several times on GWR stock, you wouldn't know that there's a difference. Just get a set and you'll see what I mean.

regards

Mike

That's what I was hoping! thanks Mike

Steve

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:53 pm

The only problem you might have is if the American bogies are shorter over headstocks than standard ones with carrying springs above the axleboxes.

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:41 pm

MJT CCUs are excellent, so why not use those?

Will L

Postby Will L » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:14 pm

martin goodall wrote:MJT CCUs are excellent, so why not use those?

Actually, the MJT torsion bar CCUs have a design problem and the solder joints to the torsion wire tends to fail, sooner if your soldering isn't up to much, or later if your soldering is good but you insist on running them.

Palatin Models do an add on "conversion kit" which fits on the MJT item and overcomes the problem. They also has some bogie kits made to the revised design from scratch.

Brassmasters also do a torsion suspension bogies of a different design which is understood to avoids the problem, although I have no experience of theirs.

All these designs have bogie side which move independently which inevitably means no rigid frame across the bogie ends. This is a step too far from prototype reality for me so prefer the solid simplicity of Bills Sprung bogies

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:03 am

Will L wrote:

All these designs have bogie side which move independently which inevitably means no rigid frame across the bogie ends. This is a step too far from prototype reality for me so prefer the solid simplicity of Bills Sprung bogies

I'm inclined to agree with Will on this, I built a set of CCUs for an auto coach some years ago, and although it runs well, I found the whole assembly a bit to 'wobbly' and prefer the springing option

Steve

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:59 am

steve howe wrote:
Will L wrote:

I'm inclined to agree with Will on this, I built a set of CCUs for an auto coach some years ago, and although it runs well, I found the whole assembly a bit to 'wobbly' and prefer the springing option

Steve

Among the coaches under which I have used MJT CCUs is an A31 autotrailer, built from a K's whitemetal kit. It is by far the heaviest coach on my layout, but it has never given me any problems.

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:10 pm

The A31 Autotrailers didn't have American bogies, so this reply is irrelevant to the OPs question.

Will L

Postby Will L » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:38 pm

martin goodall wrote:Among the coaches under which I have used MJT CCUs is an A31 autotrailer, built from a K's whitemetal kit. It is by far the heaviest coach on my layout, but it has never given me any problems.

It isn't the weight that causes the problem as such. It's the amount of flexing the solder joints on the torsion spring wire get when the coach is running. How soon you find out depends on how much running it gets.

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:00 pm

billbedford wrote:The A31 Autotrailers didn't have American bogies, so this reply is irrelevant to the OPs question.

A minor quibble. Some A31 trailers had 8ft American bogies. Mine (No.202) has 8-ft 'fishbelly' bogies, which are mounted on MJT 8-ft CCUs. I don't really think the 4mm difference in length makes any difference to the point under discussion, so not in any way irrelevant to the question, I suggest.

Return to “Coaches and NPCS”