Hornby Collet coaches

chelsea ray

Hornby Collet coaches

Postby chelsea ray » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:10 pm

Has any member managed to convert the new Hornby Collet coach bogies to P4. If could you advise on what and how needs to be done.
Thanks Ray

chrisf

Re: Hornby Collet coaches

Postby chrisf » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:37 am

These coaches deserve the best. My example will have Rumney Models sprung bogies. The Hornby bogies look as though clearances for P4 will be at best tight, at worst painful.

Chris

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:39 am

Not so Chris! In answer to your question Ray, they were a piece of cake!

For the first time on any Hby or Bach coaches I've never had to do any 'thinning' of the sideframes. I used the new 14mm stainless steel Black Beetles (from Brian Osborne at Branchlines) The only obstruction was the brake shoes which foul the flanges but can be bent out of the way being made of very soft plastic, replaced or as I did, just snipped off. It may be considered worth adding new ones, but for me that'll remain to be seen.

The snaps shows both 'bent out of the way' and 'snipped off' method!

These new BBs really are excellent and spin beatifully in the unmodified Hby plastic sideframes.

Further comment here. These pictures show N/S BBs.
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... 16/page-31 post #763

001.JPG

002.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John

SHurst

Postby SHurst » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:24 am

Also of interest may be Gerry Beale's article on these coaches in Model Railway Journal No 247.
In his conversion to EM gauge ( :o ) he points out that with drop in wheel sets,"the Hornby brake blocks line up with the wheels with only a slight chamfer on the back of the brake blocks to ensure free running"

Simon

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:31 am

John,

I can see these are going to be an easy conversion, but so were the Hornby Maunsells. I don't think there was a clearance problem with the LMS ones either, can't remember about the LNER ones. The first few had the brakes squeezed out to provide clearance and the others by cutting the brake moulding in half and gluing back a bit further apart, as you suggested with the Collets. But there was clearance for P4 wheels, either Branchlines or Ultrascale.

With true wheelsets and a bit of extra weight I don't think they will run that much better with sprung bogies. But then I will have a lot to convert!

Philip

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:11 am

Thanks Phil. Good to know about the Maunsells as we've got a lot to convert.
John

chelsea ray

Postby chelsea ray » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:33 pm

Thank you all for your comments. I think I'll go down the Rumney Models route with Gerry Beals notes. It will take longer but at least they will run well. I'm looking forward to making 6 Masokits Gangway Connectors!!

Return to “Coaches and NPCS”