Great Western Railway Siphons

jasp

Great Western Railway Siphons

Postby jasp » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:08 pm

[This thread started as a request for a particular book, but rather than delete it after the request was satisfied, I agreed with Jim, the original poster, that this should be edited and moved for future reference. John McAleely]
Last edited by John McAleely on Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Remove private want ad, per request.

jasp

Re: Great Western Railway Siphons

Postby jasp » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:03 pm

Thanks to David B for his response, I have been unable to find a way to send him a pm.
I was aware of the copy on Abebooks but, being a prudent (never mean!) Scotsman I am a bit reluctant to spend nearly £40 for something of minor interest. My interest is because Siphons did appear on the Caledonian Railway in Scotland in pre-grouping times and I have Mainline models of, I think, Siphon G and H.
I had not thought about contacting the seller direct and avoiding third party fees but thank you David for the suggestion. I will try tomorrow.
* there is a thread on the Caledonian Railway Association Forum with a picture and some info.
Using my iPad it is not easy to provide the link but, if anyone is interested, I will do so from a (real?!) computer
Jim P

Noel

Postby Noel » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:44 pm

I would certainly be interested to see the link, please.

There are three r-t-r versions of the GW bogie siphons that I am aware of:

The former Airfix, later Mainline, outside frame version, with high roof and end doors, which is O12 Siphon H of 1919.

The former Lima inside frame version, with low roof and scissors corridor connections, which is O33 Siphon G of 1930 onwards, although the body style is a wartime version which apparently only applied to literally one or two vehicles and the bogies are BR mark 1.

The Hornby outside frame version, with low roof and scissors corridor connections, which is O11 Siphon G of 1912/13 onwards [one lot 1912/13, one 1915/16, then 1922 onwards] but the underframe [and possibly the bogies] is wrong for the first two lots as built.

The Siphon H is reasonably accurate, so far as I know, given its age, but the two Siphons G are another matter...

There were a small number of earlier bogie Siphons, dating from 1906, O7 Siphon F, but this is a very different vehicle to Siphons G & H.

Info from G W Siphons/Slinn and Clarke/HMRS.

I hope this helps.
Regards
Noel

jasp

Postby jasp » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:53 pm

Noel
Thank you for the info.
The piece was on RMweb, "GWR siphons north of Perth, why?" September 2009
Trust it is of interest.
Jim P

Noel

Postby Noel » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:40 pm

Thanks for the reference. If anyone wants the actual link it's at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=51739, and there is also reference to the picture in http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/92025-gwr-dual-braked-or-air-piped-coaches-1900/page-1, which offers comments on the likely livery. The mention of flat bar trussing confirms O11, 1462-81, built between 12/1912 and 5/1913.
Regards
Noel

Return to “Coaches and NPCS”