Dean Bogies

David B

Dean Bogies

Postby David B » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:35 am

Can anyone point me to drawings of Dean coach bogies - 6' 4", 8' 6" and 10' ?

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: Dean Bogies

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:42 pm

David B wrote:Can anyone point me to drawings of Dean coach bogies - 6' 4", 8' 6" and 10' ?

Just to save me ploughing through volumes and volumes when I reach home after work - there's nothing in the usual Russell volumes as sources?

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

David B

Postby David B » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:55 pm

Flymo748 wrote:
Just to save me ploughing through volumes and volumes when I reach home after work - there's nothing in the usual Russell volumes as sources?

Thank you for the thought, Paul, but regrettably, no. I cannot find any anywhere in my fairly extensive library.

I am after a diagram so that I can get some cosmetic sides printed. I am not sure of the length of springs for each wheelbase or any other variations there might be. I gather the general arrangement is similar for all but that there are some differences.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:54 pm

David,

I know of a possible source, and will make enquiries.

Philip

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:28 am

David B wrote:
Flymo748 wrote:

Thank you for the thought, Paul, but regrettably, no. I cannot find any anywhere in my fairly extensive library.

I am after a diagram so that I can get some cosmetic sides printed. I am not sure of the length of springs for each wheelbase or any other variations there might be. I gather the general arrangement is similar for all but that there are some differences.

I am sending a drawing by PM which may help

andrewnummelin

Postby andrewnummelin » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:12 am

There are small scale reproductions in "A Pictorial Record of Great Western Coaches including the brown vehicles Part 1 (1838-1913)" by J. H. Russell; Oxford Publishing Company, 1972; SBN 90288803X. Most, but not all, of the dimensions are readable.
The 6'4" bogie is on page 89, the 8'6" on page 93 and the 10' on page 95.
There are good photos and descriptions as well. Also detailed drawings of brake cylinder and Mansell wheel and carriage framing although the latter is not likely to be of much practical use in 4mm modelling.

When it comes to modelling these a couple of questions come straight to mind.
1. what's the best way of modelling the scroll irons?
2. has anyone made a 4mm model suspended "properly"?

My own interest in these is not for coaches - some use of this type of bogie was made on locomotives and there are one or two of these on my list of things to model one day.
Regards,

Andrew Nummelin

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:48 pm

There are drawings of the three standard gauge (NG) bogies in the NRM/OPC scheme. Copies of the drawings can be obtained from their Search Engine facility. If you can visit you can see the aperture cards and make sure that they are what you want.

Dean 10ft bogie: NRM/OPC 1615 dwg of Jun 1895)
NRM/OPC 8386 of 1898

Dean 8ft 6in bogie: NRM/OPC 13194 of 1893 - 6ft springs
NRM/OPC 13195 of 1893 - 4ft 6in springs.
NRM/OPC 13513 of 1895 for Lot 630 (E35)

Dean 6ft 4in bogie: NRM/OPC 8665 of 1892
NRM/OPC 13510 of 1891

The OPC list can be downloaded from the NRM web site <http://www.nrm.org.uk/researchandarchive/archiveandlibrarycollections/railwaycoworks>

Do check what I have written above against the list. The numbers quoted above are the OPC list numbers not the GWR drawing numbers and the 18xx numbers are the quoted date of the drawings..

Best of luck!

John

BRUNEL

Postby BRUNEL » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:57 pm

Andrew, I assume from your question that you're talking about the spring. Whilst it was a bit of a fiddle, I have managed to model the scoll by incorporating it with the top two leaves in a single strip of brass of appropriate width and thickness. The two ends butt together on the upper leaf where the joint is helpfully covered by the strap. Additional leaves are added as necessary. Should you need more details, please e-mail.

Derek.

David B

Postby David B » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:17 am

John Lewis wrote:There are drawings of the three standard gauge (NG) bogies in the NRM/OPC scheme. Copies of the drawings can be obtained from their Search Engine facility. If you can visit you can see the aperture cards and make sure that they are what you want.

Thank you for this, John. I am grateful you found these as I find the NRM lists totally bewildering. I have looked before but got hopelessly lost.

Thank you, too, to the other people who have contacted me. Your help is much appreciated.

andrewnummelin

Postby andrewnummelin » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:01 pm

BRUNEL wrote:

Andrew, I assume from your question that you're talking about the spring. Whilst it was a bit of a fiddle, I have managed to model the scoll by incorporating it with the top two leaves in a single strip of brass of appropriate width and thickness. The two ends butt together on the upper leaf where the joint is helpfully covered by the strap. Additional leaves are added as necessary. Should you need more details, please e-mail.

Derek.

Derek,
Apologies for the slow response, the last few days have been rather hectic.
The scroll iron is the forging(?) that is fixed to the solebar and to the cross beam under the bogie and is a rather complex shape. See the bit clipped from figure 92 in Russell's book.
scrolliron.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,

Andrew Nummelin

BRUNEL

Postby BRUNEL » Sun May 01, 2016 9:02 am

Andrew,

The scroll iron is the forging(?) that is fixed to the solebar and to the cross beam under the bogie and is a rather complex shape. See the bit clipped from figure 92 in Russell's book.

Oops! In that case, what are the circular bits at the end of leaf springs called? I was thinking about the scrolled ends of handrails on finely crafted balustrading, which they resemble. So I'm sure you can appreciate my error. As for an actual scrolled end...?

Derek.

andrewnummelin

Postby andrewnummelin » Mon May 02, 2016 6:46 am

BRUNEL wrote:Andrew,

.... what are the circular bits at the end of leaf springs called?

Derek.

I regret I've no idea what the names of the bits of the spring hanger assembly are.
Regards,

Andrew Nummelin

Return to “Coaches and NPCS”