SR/ BR CCT Vans

Serjt-Dave

SR/ BR CCT Vans

Postby Serjt-Dave » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:32 am

Hi All, a little help please.

I've just made up a Parkside BR made CCT {dia 3101}. Does anyone know how the handbrake works in relation of the rest of the brake rigging? What I mean is from where does the handbrake rodding go after it passes through the V hanger?

Also the Vac and Air pipes, where do they attach to the buffer beam? Is each pipe either side of the coupling and do they come through/or attached to the front of the beam, or are they fixed to the lower edge of the beam?

One last thing, roof vents? The model says yea! photos say nay!

I've looked at Paul Bartlett's wonderful collection of images but all the examples are buffered up to other vehicles and so you can't see any details in that area.

Thanks

Dave

Noel

Re: SR/ BR CCT Vans

Postby Noel » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:50 pm

The following is derived from various photos:

Vacuum pipe, on the left of the hook as you look at the end, comes under the buffer beam, turns 90 degrees and rises vertically to a point immediately below the drop door, then turns outward and very slightly downward at which point the hose is attached. The dummy plug is on a fixed strip mounting, rather like the GW system. Steam heat pipe on the right of the hook is horizontal under the buffer beam. No air pipes when built and I don't think any were converted, but can't be sure.

Roof vents when built, some, at least, lost them later, but probably not until blue livery days. The plastic ones in the kit are one of its few weak points and are too small in my view.

The handbrake shaft goes to a second v-hanger on the opposite inner chassis channel section, with a crank operating below the shaft. How this connects to the rest of the braking system I don't know for sure, but if it is the same as Bullied's cattle vans, it is connected to the levers between the wheels which connect up the parts of the clasp brake on that axle. This would then act on the wheel at the other end by means of the connection via the double crank on the vacuum cylinder shaft.

Noel
Regards
Noel

Serjt-Dave

Re: SR/ BR CCT Vans

Postby Serjt-Dave » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:10 pm

Thanks Noel. Thanks for the help there. You've basically confirmed what I thought about the vac and steam heat pipe {air? oops].

As for the handbrake mechanism, I'll just have a rod coming off the the V and head towards the centre of the wheel set diapering in the dark recess of the underframe.

Your right about the roof vents supplied with the kit. I initially chucked away the sprue that they were on after removing the roof from it. Didn't notice them on there. Will order some from MJT or similar.

Once again thanks for your help.

Dave

Return to “Coaches and NPCS”