BR Mark 2 coach buffer beams

John Fitton

BR Mark 2 coach buffer beams

Postby John Fitton » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:09 pm

Me again. I have to create new buffer beams for my many mk 2 coaches, and I need help regarding their design. I should have acquired a book on the subject, maybe I will....However, are they anything like the mk 1 in shape, or somewhat different? A ready to use moulding would be nice.

John Fitton

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: BR Mark 2 coach buffer beams

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:28 pm

are they anything like the mk 1 in shape,
Since they carry the same buffers, drawgear and gangway buffing plate they can't be very different, probably some subtle variation somewhere as its an integral structure rather than an independent underframe.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

John Fitton

Postby John Fitton » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:23 pm

Thanks Keith,

Not quite sure if the Southern Pride Mk 1 beams would do. Is the shape the same? I dont need an exact replica, but moderately close would be good

john

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:22 pm

Dunno if this helps at all

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:39 pm

Interesting. The coach in the upper picture has an empty bracket on the opposite side of the buckeye from the air-brake hoses. Does this imply that it used to be dual-braked and was later converted to air-brake only?

Penrhos1920

Postby Penrhos1920 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:46 pm

guyrixon wrote:Interesting. The coach in the upper picture has an empty bracket on the opposite side of the buckeye from the air-brake hoses. Does this imply that it used to be dual-braked and was later converted to air-brake only?

Few Mk2s were dual brake and normally the vacuum pipe would be next to the air pipes

This coach also has an extra hose beside the air pipes. I wonder if it was one of the Mk2s converted for the Glasgow-Edinburgh service with 27s. They had through air pipes for engine control and blue star cables.

Who sells ETH cables for Mk2s? I need quite a lot.

John Fitton

Postby John Fitton » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:04 pm

jim s-w wrote:Dunno if this helps at all

Jim

Hi Jim,

Yes, those photos are very good, The shape appears very similar to the Mark 1 buffer beams, and certainly good enough for me as I follow the 3 foot rule! Pic 1 also shows the buffer height wrt the Mk shell. Thanks.

John

Return to “Coaches and NPCS”