Barrow Road Breakdown Train - Identification of stock

barrowroad

Barrow Road Breakdown Train - Identification of stock

Postby barrowroad » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:45 pm

I have been looking through my collection of photos taken in and around Bristol Barrow Road shed during the 1950s and 1960s and have noticed two photos of what I believe is the shed breakdown train in the sidings alongside the shed. Is anyone able to assist in the identification of any of the three vehicles, one of which appears to be a modified clerestory of Midland Railway origin whilst I have no idea on the other two.

Ivo Peters - Breakdown train (1024x709).jpg

Ivo Peters 1957

George Heiron - Breakdown train (1024x707).jpg

George Heiron 1957

I have two other photos of what I believe to be the same Midland clerestory taken at the other side of the shed in the former carriage sidings these are taken in the 1960s whereas the other two are 1957.

Cedric Catt - Breakdown Train van.jpg

Cedric Catt 1963

Rail Photoprints - 48253 & 92028 cropped.jpg

Rail Photoprints 1963

Any help with identifying any or all of these three vehicles would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Robin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Palmer

Re: Barrow Road Breakdown Train - Identification of stock

Postby John Palmer » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:37 am

Judging by the number and pitch of the torpedo ventilators on the clerestory vehicle, my best guess is that it may be one of six gangwayed composites built to Midland Railway Diagram 593 in 1909. Numbers were: 3406/20/21/53/75/83. Information derived from Lacy and Dow’s Midland Railway Carriages Vol.2 at pp 204-5.

These photographs are rendered rather dark by my browser/video combination, and I was able to see additional detail by lightening the images. This revealed that the right hand vehicle in your first photograph is some species of brake vehicle having a ducket midway along the body, apparently with a droplight immediately to the right of this. I have no idea, though, of what its origins might be.

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:53 am

The clerestory is/was MR Bain 54' corridor stock. Which one is anyone's guess. These sorts of conversions seem relatively common.

The lefthand one is a staff van built by Derby on redundant underframes. See p 431 of Lacey and Dow for a similar one.

The middle one is a six wheeled brake with centre lookout. The lookout has an ogee top so it's probably S&DJ.

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:35 pm

John & Bill, Thanks for the information.

I have now identified the number on the staff van as DM35454.

Return to “Coaches and NPCS”