Great Central Livery

Andy W

Great Central Livery

Postby Andy W » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:59 pm

I'm just putting the final touches to a scratchbuilt GCR cct as built circa 1905. I understand that the livery should be "polished teak", but is this a plain teak colour or grained? Also I've heard that the ironwork would have also been painted teak - but surely this wouldn't include the door runners, rollers and hinges? I know the solebars and headstocks were black. Any info welcome.

Thanks

Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

jon price

Re: Great Central Livery

Postby jon price » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:37 pm

From a base of no knowledge, but from logical analysis, I would say that unless the CCT was made of teak (unlikely?), then it would be painted a teak colour (same as the ironwork). All the NPCS stuff I am aware ofon other companies was finished in a cheaper or simpler style than the coaches themselves, which would tend to suggest this wasn't given any kind of grain effect.

Jon Price
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

johnp

Postby johnp » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:57 pm

Hi!. According to April 1999 edition of British Railway Modelling the "colour of NPCS vehicles was body brown, lined and lettered as for coaching stock - except for fish vans which were brown but lettered in yellow G C but no lining. After 1908 fish vans were grey and other stock matched coaching stock or was varnished".

HTH

Regards,

John

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:21 pm

Thanks John and Jon. I agree flat colour is the way to go. I'm tempted to paint the door runners black/grey though. Cheers.
Last edited by Andy W on Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

DougN

Postby DougN » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:18 am

Just a thought, was it the same "brown" that the LNER used (which I assumed it would be after the Teak varnishing didn't come from the NER!). IF so what are peoples thought on the actual colour. I have used a humbrol colour on my NER coaches which I thought would be about right. (in the mid 30's the coaches would have been in drab brown as they were once plum and Cream from what I have figured out!) This was to produce stock that had the same appearance as all the other stock. New stock was ofcourse LNER Teak until Thompson started with the steel paneled stock which again went into a brown!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Return to “Coaches and NPCS”