Rolling carriage roofs

Bob Ellis

Rolling carriage roofs

Postby Bob Ellis » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:47 pm

I have never been happy with the plastic roofs supplied with the carriage kits I build because plastic roofs look - well - plastic! :o I prefer to make my roofs from brass, which looks better to my eye and allows me to solder torpedo vents, gas lights, etc. in place. I have had no problem rolling brass roofs for the four-wheel and six-wheel stock I usually build but my rolling bars are not long enough to roll the 209mm long roofs I need for the bogie clerestory stock I have recently begun building. I have tried squeezing the roofs in a vice between a round bar and a piece of rubber but all I achieved was to produce creases in the roofs.
:( Can anyone tell me whether there are rolling bars on the market long enough to produce roofs for bogie carriages? Alternatively, can anyone suggest another way of producing brass roofs for bogie carriages?

Best wishes,

Bob Ellis

JackBlack

Re: Rolling carriage roofs

Postby JackBlack » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:45 am

I absolutely agree, nothing looks better than a brass roof! I have the exact same problem as you, vans and other short roofs that I can roll are fine, but forming longer roofs is hopeless. However, Dave Smith at Blacksmith Models will roll roofs pretty much to your exact specification, and really quickly too, about £2.50 - £3 each: http://www.blacksmithmodels.com (his contact details are on the website).

Nick Allport
CLAG

Bob Ellis

Postby Bob Ellis » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:24 pm

Thanks very much, Jack. I shall contact Blacksmith Models in the morning. As well as ordering some roofs from him, I shall have to find out how he makes them!

Best wishes,

Bob

Wizard of the Moor

Postby Wizard of the Moor » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:43 pm

Bob,

You could try http://www.metalsmith.co.uk/rolling-bars.htm for a rolling mill that would handle your roofs.

Usual disclaimer...
James Dickie

My workbench

Bob Ellis

Postby Bob Ellis » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:51 pm

I contacted the helpful Dave Smith at Blacksmith Models and have sorted out my immediate needs. Thanks, Nick!

Thanks James, for the suggestion of where I might get some longer rolling bars, but it is rather a lot of money to invest so that I can produce just a few carriage roofs. For the moment, I shall get Dave Smith to produce them for me.

Best wishes,

Bob Ellis

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:22 pm

I agree re brass roofs. I also dread fitting them - that plus doing the glazing. I'm building a Chatham kits horsebox and thought I'd try a new (for me) method. I'm not sure who I pinched the idea off but it seems to work and creates a snug fit that enables the roof to be removed. I cut the inside "ends" from scrap on the fret. I hope below is clear.

By the way, would these vehicles have had roof rain-strips when built (1873 - 1894)? I'm not familiar with LBSCR builds and I've struggled to find reference. Thanks.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

Return to “Coaches and NPCS”