Lima 42' GUVs

David Thorpe

Lima 42' GUVs

Postby David Thorpe » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:03 pm

I have been given four Lima 42' GUVs which I believe are ex-LMS vehicles, although mine are in BR liveries. The bodies seem quite nice, but the underframe and bogies leave a lot to be desired. First steps will obviously be to replace the Lima BR1 bogies with 9'0" LMS ones - I plan to use Jim's 9'0" bogie compensation units from Brassmasters together with MJT LMS cosmetic overlays (available from the stores) and I'm pretty sure that the underframe will need some attention. I'm also thinking of trying a flush glazing pack from Shawplan. Before I start ordering things, however, I'd be very pleased to hear from anyone else who has worked on these vehicles and may have some tips and advice!

DT

craig_whilding

Re: Lima 42' GUVs

Postby craig_whilding » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:00 pm

I spoke to Brian about these at Manchester, as far as he could remember he hadn't done a flush glaze kit for them yet.

The body is spot on to the works drawings; the changes to make are replacement handrails, replacement roof vents, scribe down the roof ribs ala Bachmann mk1s, new window bars behind the flush glaze once it becomes available and lastly scribe in the door lines through the strips of raised metal on the sides which can also do with a slight pare down.

The underframe pod is miles out though im waiting for a chance to get a copy of the works drawing for it before I tackle mine.

For the late marron/Blue period the window frames tended to have extra horizontal strips at the top and bottom and bits of the decorative strip tended to have fallen off.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:30 pm

See also http://www.norgrove.me.uk/bogie.html should help, although doing it now I would use Bill Bedford bogies in preference to Masokits.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:06 pm

craig_whilding wrote:I spoke to Brian about these at Manchester, as far as he could remember he hadn't done a flush glaze kit for them yet.

http://www.shawplan.com/seflush.htm item No. SE52 ?

But thanks for all the information - very helpful. I - and I'm sure others - would be very interested to hear about the underframe if/when you get a chance to see the works drawing.

grovenor-2685 wrote:.....although doing it now I would use Bill Bedford bogies in preference to Masokits.

Thanks, Keith. I did however like the look of Jim's bogie compensation units when they featured on this message board, (they can now be found at http://www.brassmasters.co.uk/bogie_CUs.htm) and I'd like to give them a try. They're also £3.70 cheaper than the Bedford ones....

DT

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:00 pm

Thanks, Keith. I did however like the look of Jim's bogie compensation units when they featured on this message board,

I had a look at them at Scaleforum, they should work just fine.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

craig_whilding

Postby craig_whilding » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:43 pm

DaveyTee wrote:
craig_whilding wrote:I spoke to Brian about these at Manchester, as far as he could remember he hadn't done a flush glaze kit for them yet.

http://www.shawplan.com/seflush.htm item No. SE52 ?DT

Urgh god no, that's South East Finecast vac formed stuff. Its the lazerglaze range I meant which is a heck of a lot better.

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:28 pm

Oh, thanks for pointing that out. I have to say that I find the Lazerglaze/Shawplan website very confusing. There doesn't appear to be any list of the lazerglaze products available and it was only after much searching that i found the price codes referred to in the blog. Back in January Brian said that they'd done a glazing kit for the Hornby/Lima CCT and would "add the (Lima) GUV very soon". I'll email and enquire as to progress.

DT

Wizard of the Moor

Postby Wizard of the Moor » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:56 pm

Take a look at Jamie's workbench on RMWeb for an idea of what can be done to these GUVs.

As far as I know LaserGlaze is available for the Lima Mk 1 GUV, but I'm not sure about these ex-LMS ones.
James Dickie

My workbench

craig_whilding

Postby craig_whilding » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:00 am

DaveyTee wrote:Oh, thanks for pointing that out. I have to say that I find the Lazerglaze/Shawplan website very confusing. There doesn't appear to be any list of the lazerglaze products available and it was only after much searching that i found the price codes referred to in the blog. Back in January Brian said that they'd done a glazing kit for the Hornby/Lima CCT and would "add the (Lima) GUV very soon". I'll email and enquire as to progress.
DT

Yes the Lima mk1 CCT and mk1 GUV are done.

I think a new website is coming but its taken 2nd place to shows and product development/sales.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:24 am

craig_whilding wrote:Urgh god no, that's South East Finecast vac formed stuff. Its the lazerglaze range I meant which is a heck of a lot better.

Martin Wilkinson of our Area Group brought along a coach to the last meeting that had been "flush-glazed" on one side with the vac-formed stuff. Opinion was evenly divided whether it looked better or worse than the original.

It was certainly closer to the side of the coach than the original which was rather deeply set back. However the surface looked "wavy" due to the manufacturing process, and the curvature at the edges of the apertures was very distracting. I wondered whether it would be reduced by the use of "Kleer" or similar to fill the gap, but that would be both time-consuming and not a guaranteed success.

So there may be cases where sticking with the original actually may look better.

BTW, CHEAG meetings are the first Thursday of each month at the Coach & Horses pub in Newport (not the Gwent one!) from 8pm, if there is anyone in the Cambs, Herts & Essex area that would like to come along. You would be very welcome.

Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Russ Elliott

Postby Russ Elliott » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:35 am

You might find that clearance between the top of the wheel flanges and the underside of the floor is negligible, so some clearance carving might be beneficial.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:49 am

I have done two of these and don't remember any clearance problems, I'll have a look at one tonight if I can find it.
(The carmine and cream one went to SLAG)
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Russ Elliott

Postby Russ Elliott » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:19 am

IIRC, the clearance problem only manifests itself when a bogie pitches significantly. (I'll check the Green Street specimens next time I'm up at CLAG.)

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:04 pm

I have done two of these and don't remember any clearance problems,

Evidently my memory is failing ;) I found it and had a look, the Lima floor is stepped so there is ample clearance for the outer wheelsets of each bogie but excavating is needed to provide clearance for the inner wheelsets, including some thinning of the back of the solebars to allow the bogie to swing. A job for the dental burr in a Dremel.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Return to “Coaches and NPCS”