A convert comes clean

Andy W

A convert comes clean

Postby Andy W » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:28 pm

When I came back to the hobby about 18 months ago I was a dedicated 3 point compensation man - only to find in my absence that a severe outbreak of springing had swept the world. So when I started building some old time 4 wheelers (below) I built the small brake with a rocking axle. I pushed on even though there really weren't enough clearances. So when I built the other three I used Bill Bedford springing units from Eileen's. Not only were these easier to install but they gave a much better ride.

I then replaced the rocking units on the small brake with springs.

So thanks to all those young Turks, like Will and co, who have taught an old dog some new tricks.
Andy

Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

Will L

Re: A convert comes clean

Postby Will L » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:22 pm

Ealing wrote:So thanks to all those young Turks, like Will...

Not so sure about the young, but I recognise the experience, it pretty much what happened to me when I came back to the hobby a few yaers ago. I just happened to start on Loco's.

Will

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:19 pm

The coaches look very nice - pardon my ignorance, but what are they, please?

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:28 am

Thanks AM. They're all Midland around 1860 - 1872 (L to R) - 16' brake; 22' invalid carriage; 20' third and 20' brake third. I had to check my measurements when building the small brake to make sure I wasn't building it 3mm scale! I don't think many would have been used as sheds when de-commisioned - they would have been too small! My first go at scratchbuilding - and very rewarding it was. Mistakes were made - but I learnt masses.

They enter the paint shop this afternoon.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:46 am

Ealing wrote:Mistakes were made - but I learnt masses.

They enter the paint shop this afternoon.

That is how we all learn - by doing something and learning as we go. They look very nice to me. If you get them finished by Scaleforum you could always enter them in the Chairman's Cup Andy, and if you don't want to do that, just put them in the display case. And of course the competitions and the display case are open to all comers.

Terry Bendall

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:13 am

Terry, I'm not sure about entering them for a cup. I don't see the hobby as a competitive thing, and also I usually dash into Scaleforum, dash around the show for four hours and then dash home. I'm not sure how I could deliver and collect over a weekend. But it's a tempting thought!

Thanks for the comments.

Andy

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:07 am

Ealing wrote:I'm not sure about entering them for a cup. I don't see the hobby as a competitive thing, and also I usually dash into Scaleforum, dash around the show for four hours and then dash home. I'm not sure how I could deliver and collect over a weekend. But it's a tempting thought!

No problems Andy, that's why we have the display case for people who would like to show what they have done, but who don't fancy competitions. And if delivery/collection is a problem get in touch with me off list at terrybendall@scalefour.org . Be tempted ... :)

Terry Bendall

Return to “Coaches and NPCS”