Which wheels?

gort

Which wheels?

Postby gort » Wed May 11, 2011 7:57 pm

I am about to embark on my first etched coach build as I have time now whilst I recover from my attempt to demolish the centre reservation barrier and a stone wall on the A1 a couple of weeks ago.
I have had the kit since xmas so its about time.
I can't seem to find any info on coach wheels or sizes Can any one recommend wheels for this kit.......................................................
Corridor Brake Third-Bow end
Code:W7 Diag No:D95 Length:57' Built:1925---------this is the comet kit Also any thoughts on compensation?

craig_whilding

Re: Which wheels?

Postby craig_whilding » Wed May 11, 2011 10:35 pm

14.5mm coach wheels, either Kean Maygib or Exactoscale. Former being the cheaper and quicker option while the latter are the more detailed.

For bogies i'd recommend the Bill Bedford sprung ones.

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Thu May 12, 2011 10:08 am

Add the Branchlines wheels to the list that Craig has offered.

A link to a piece on the use of the Bill Bedford bogies is here: http://www.clag.org.uk/bills-coach-bogie-construction.html. They are actually marketed by Eileen's Emporium: http://www.eileensemporium.com/.
Last edited by Mark Tatlow on Thu May 12, 2011 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Tatlow

craig_whilding

Postby craig_whilding » Thu May 12, 2011 10:48 am

Mark Tatlow wrote:Add the Branchlines wheels to the list that Craig has offered.

I left the Black Beetle (DC kits sell them too) wheels out as the profile isn't as good looking as the others, they are about 14.2mm dia as well giving a worn profile I guess. Still they are NS against the Steel of the Kean Maygib.

newport_rod

Postby newport_rod » Thu May 12, 2011 11:57 am

The other thing to consider with the Branchline wheels is that the normal arrangement is for one wheel per axle to be insulated and the other live. With an all metal chassis/bogie arrangement you'll have to pay attention to avoid shorting issues. Double insulated are available to order which will avoid this issue though.
Rod

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Thu May 12, 2011 6:06 pm

It's actually a no brainer, the Branchlines wheels are round, concentric and mounted on 26mm pinpoints, I'm afraid very few other wheels consistently meet those simple criteria.

Since these attributes are fundamental to good running, there is only one choice.

However, if you want something that looks good in a display case, then choose the better looking one.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

craig_whilding

Postby craig_whilding » Thu May 12, 2011 6:38 pm

No one has even mentioned Alan Gibson wheels Tim..

60 axles of Kean Maygib and no duds so far..

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Thu May 12, 2011 7:29 pm

You're just lucky.....

Anyway, I'd hardly call the face of the Maygib wheel "authentic", and I have heard they are becoming difficult to get.
Tim V

craig_whilding

Postby craig_whilding » Thu May 12, 2011 8:34 pm

Tim V wrote:You're just lucky.....
Anyway, I'd hardly call the face of the Maygib wheel "authentic", and I have heard they are becoming difficult to get.

Possibly thinking of the 3-hole there which are a bit Romford in looks but the carriage wheel is a nice turned shape with the two holes in the correct place.

I don't mean the old plastic centre Maygib which weren't as good.

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Thu May 12, 2011 8:40 pm

Who stocks the Kean Maygib wheels? I thought that they were no longer available...

Mike

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu May 12, 2011 8:48 pm

Possibly thinking of the 3-hole there which are a bit Romford in looks but the carriage wheel is a nice turned shape with the two holes in the correct place.

Ie these,

but not these, hard to believe they are from the same producer and time.

and the Lomac wheels are up there with the coach wheels

Unfortunately Jeremy has indeed been out of stock for a long time.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

gort

Postby gort » Fri May 13, 2011 7:54 pm

Tim V wrote:It's actually a no brainer, the Branchlines wheels are round, concentric and mounted on 26mm pinpoints, I'm afraid very few other wheels consistently meet those simple criteria.

Since these attributes are fundamental to good running, there is only one choice.

However, if you want something that looks good in a display case, then choose the better looking one.

Tried to get Branchlines on the web but only got the blog. Can't seem to access their catalogue.
Where can I get the Branchline wheels from?
Are Alan Gibson coach wheels ok?
Martyn

gort

Postby gort » Fri May 13, 2011 7:58 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys its a great help.
Those who have recommended wheels could they let me know where to get them please
Martyn

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Fri May 13, 2011 8:01 pm

gort wrote:Tried to get Branchlines on the web but only got the blog. Can't seem to access their catalogue.
Where can I get the Branchline wheels from?
Are Alan Gibson coach wheels ok?
Martyn

Email Branchlines from the address on their blog - they reply very quickly. There are various lists they can email you covering different product ranges, or you can enquire about specific products. They supply direct by post or at shows.

craig_whilding

Postby craig_whilding » Fri May 13, 2011 10:09 pm

DC Kits also sell Black Beetle wheelsets (the ones people are calling Branchlines) and they are actually Australian made.

MSE might still have some Kean Maygib wheels otherwise its EM gauge stores.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Fri May 13, 2011 10:18 pm

The Branchlines wheels are, I believe, made by Steam Era Models in Australia. Charlie Petty at DC Kits is an alternative UK source.
(Links from http://www.scalefour.org/links/traders.html
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

gort

Postby gort » Sat May 14, 2011 11:41 am

I have found wheels by Alan Gibson and it seems they have produced wheels for years yet no one has commented on them.
Any one ?

craig_whilding

Postby craig_whilding » Sat May 14, 2011 12:15 pm

gort wrote:I have found wheels by Alan Gibson and it seems they have produced wheels for years yet no one has commented on them.
Any one ?

Actually I did make a little comment on them in response to Tim.

They are the cheapest option; steel tyres and axles with a plastic wheel centre, the steel tyre is a push fit onto the plastic center and can come off so its usually worth gluing them on. Its normally worth buying more than you need as there could be duds though a new owner took over recently and I haven't bought any since then so they might be a bit more consistent.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat May 14, 2011 6:11 pm

Branchlines had some of the KM Lowmac wheels on their stand at Expo EM today but not the KM coach wheels, but it means he is a possible Source for KM wheels as well as Steam Era.
AG wheels are OK but have historically had a bit of a quality control issue which was dealt with by a no-quibble replacement policy. So buy a few more than needed and send any rejects back for replacement. You will find plenty of references about fixing loose tyres or removing moulding pips in past literature.
Studiolith, Keen-Maygib and Alan Gibson, and a few others have all made wheels using similar methods, and with similar results. Most of us will have some/many in service.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sat May 14, 2011 6:50 pm

Mike Garwood wrote:Who stocks the Kean Maygib wheels? I thought that they were no longer available...

Kean Maygib wheels were in stock today on the Branchlines stand at ExpoEM.

I couldn't tell you whether the range included coach wheels as I only noticed them in the background whist I was buying some split axles. There did seem to be about four or five types available though.

HTH
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon May 16, 2011 1:01 pm

One range not mentioned (because I'd forgotten them) is Exactoscale. I've only used their wagon wheels (which was why I forgot they do coach wheels). It is essential to use their jig for the assembly, and reasonably new Loctite.

On the subject of Loctite, if it hasn't got a use-by date on it, it's pretty old. My new bottle of 603 has a use-by date of 01/13 for example.
Tim V

craig_whilding

Postby craig_whilding » Mon May 16, 2011 3:46 pm

Tim V wrote:One range not mentioned (because I'd forgotten them) is Exactoscale. I've only used their wagon wheels (which was why I forgot they do coach wheels).

Um I did mention them in the first response Tim.. Its the back 2 back gauge that is used not a specific piece of kit and i'd say that its an essential component for a P4 modeller anyway rather than a specific item for their wheels.. I think their 17.67mm b2b has now been withdrawn which is a good thing as its better to use the 17.75mm b2b.

Return to “Coaches and NPCS”