New product MRD Coach Bogies

Tim V

New product MRD Coach Bogies

Postby Tim V » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:15 pm

Bought some of these at Peterborough, swing link suspension bogies.
IMG_2093.JPG

Regrettably, the inside faces are only 23mm apart, so my with standard 26mm across pinpoints (Branchline's nickel silver wheels) and ordinary bearings, the sides splay out. Not good practice.
IMG_2092.JPG

Currently I'm experimenting with putting them inside another bogie frame
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Mike Garwood

Re: New product MRD Coach Bogies

Postby Mike Garwood » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:21 pm

Tim
Why would you want to use these and not the sprung ones that are available? Do you think that these offer a better ride? Or do you have other reasons..

regards

Mike

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:23 pm

Hi Mike

The sprung ones do not work for me. Basically the coaches tip over on the curves on Clutton, if I put stiffer springs in then don't hold the track. I put a lot of work into sprung bogies, and gave up on them. Remember they were developed for an up and down layout, not a roundy round. In the end I found that straight rewheeling of plastic bogies did work. I was extremely fed up that they didn't work.

I do try new ideas, these MRD ones were to replace the last sprung bogie coaches, that failed at Peterborough.
Tim V

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:01 pm

TIm
I'd be interested to find out how these pan out. My next layout will be a 100ft roundy (based on Little Mill Junction)and as stock is starting to be amassed at the moment, it would be worth finding out whether or not the coaches planned should be sprung or a little more 'rigid'. The end curves will be 4 ft 9 inch radius, the end curves on Clutton are pretty tight, if I remember rightly, do you think this had any bearing on the failure of sprung bogies.

regards

Mike

Bob Ellis

Postby Bob Ellis » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:22 am

I was interested in Tim's comment about sprung bogies:
The sprung ones do not work for me. Basically the coaches tip over on the curves on Clutton, if I put stiffer springs in then don't hold the track. I put a lot of work into sprung bogies, and gave up on them. Remember they were developed for an up and down layout, not a roundy round.

I have just begun building the baseboards for an oval layout on which I intend to run stock with sprung bogies. Have other people had problems with sprung bogies on 'roundy round' layouts? More importantly, are there people who have used sprung bogies on oval layouts who have not had problems? If so, which sprung bogies have they used?
Best wishes,
Bob Ellis

davebooth

Postby davebooth » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:02 pm

Bob Ellis wrote:I was interested in Tim's comment about sprung bogies:
The sprung ones do not work for me. Basically the coaches tip over on the curves on Clutton, if I put stiffer springs in then don't hold the track. I put a lot of work into sprung bogies, and gave up on them. Remember they were developed for an up and down layout, not a roundy round.

I have just begun building the baseboards for an oval layout on which I intend to run stock with sprung bogies. Have other people had problems with sprung bogies on 'roundy round' layouts? More importantly, are there people who have used sprung bogies on oval layouts who have not had problems? If so, which sprung bogies have they used?
Best wishes,
Bob Ellis

I think :?: that CLAG's 'Green Street' is roundy roundy and certainly John Brighton's 'Millhouses' is roundy roundy, and both those sourcse are confirmed, indeed developers of springing.
In both cases I think they use Bill Bedford's. I'm not really 'into' coaches but now I only use Bill's on wagons.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:33 pm

Funnily enough, I was looking at a box full of abandoned bogie projects that just didn't work. Sprung, compensated etc. etc. the only coaches that were successful were the straight rewheeled plastic bogies. Can you imagine how I felt when they worked, total time converting them in minutes, as opposed to spending a considerable time with the latest etched brass wonder, only to have to abandon that.

An Airfix/Dapol B set, rewheeled bogies (Branchlines wheels), Keen centre couplings. These are 7' bogies, the 9' bogies work just as well with these pivots.
IMG_2097.JPG

And here is the highly sophisticated bogie pivot.
IMG_2096.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim V

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:55 am

I have seen a large P4 roundy roundy that runs 12 or more coach trains and these use sprung Penlenton bogies, with no hassle at all.

David

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:14 am

Tim V wrote:Funnily enough, I was looking at a box full of abandoned bogie projects that just didn't work. Sprung, compensated etc. etc. the only coaches that were successful were the straight rewheeled plastic bogies. Can you imagine how I felt when they worked, total time converting them in minutes, as opposed to spending a considerable time with the latest etched brass wonder, only to have to abandon that.

Life's too short not to give just rewheeling existing RTR bogies a go. If the track is half-decent no reason why it shouldn't work (and it does with many Mk1s I've seen) - and if it doesn't at least you haven't lost much time.
Rod

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:27 pm

David Bigcheeseplant wrote:I have seen a large P4 roundy roundy that runs 12 or more coach trains and these use sprung Penlenton bogies, with no hassle at all.

David

On what radius curves David?
Tim V

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:00 pm

I think the minimum is 4 foot

David

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:57 pm

I'm working on 3' radius, plus with super elevation.
Tim V

Return to “Coaches and NPCS”