Sprung 4 wheelers

Andy W

Sprung 4 wheelers

Postby Andy W » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:02 am

I've just scratch built some old time four wheeled coaches in plasticard. I decided to use Bill Bedford springing units to allow the axle boxes etc to be attached to the w irons. The spring units have gone together well, but I hit a problem when adding the customary 40 gms weight. The ride height then dropped (naturally). I can't pack the sprung units up any more as they will protrude under the solebars. So I assume that I have to either use thicker wire as springs, or use a lot less weight. Does this system allow the vehicles to weigh less than the usual 20 gms per axle?

I'm just about to return to rocking w irons and add the sprung units to the scrap box, so any tips would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Andy
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

steamraiser

Re: Sprung 4 wheelers

Postby steamraiser » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:38 am

As you have mentionedtry thicker spring wire. I use guitar string (Not the wound variety) from good music shops as it starts from 8thou going up to 20 thou plus.

Gordon A
Bristol

craig_whilding

Postby craig_whilding » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:27 am

Get some 12 thou or more from here:
http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products ... s_008_024_

I can't remember what the default supplied are but something like 12-14 thou should be correct for Bill's units. My own use 10 thou as they are narrower between pivots but I did buy 9,10,11,12 thou wires to test.

Russ Elliott

Postby Russ Elliott » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:25 pm

Ealing wrote:I can't pack the sprung units up any more as they will protrude under the solebars.

I find this difficult to envisage. Even with 12mm wheels, a set of BB units will deflect by (approximately) the correct amount on 10thou springs with an overall 50g weight, so I can't see how they could possible 'protude under' the solebars with 14mm wheels with an overall 40g weight. Solebar underside level should be approx 12.3mm above rail height.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:10 pm

Russ,
I think he meant that putting more packing between W-iron and floor would mean to much W-iron showing below the solebar. One would expect the opposite problem if using 14mm wheels in wagon W-irons. It might help to know which model of W-iron is being used here. Not all BB W-irons are created equal.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

craig_whilding

Postby craig_whilding » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:20 pm

Packing the w-iron wouldn't really help anyway as the axlebox should still really sit in the same place and it'd look odd against wheel centre.

I recall one of the rch types had the spring tabs further apart but looking on Eileens that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. I'll stick with my recommendation to use some thicker wire.

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:51 am

grovenor-2685 wrote: Not all BB W-irons are created equal.

Keith

What do you mean? I've never experienced any problems with these, I'm intrigued...

Mike

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:37 pm

There are different heights depending on whether they are designed for 12mm or 14mm wheels and also different spring span lengths depending on how close to the headstock they need to fit. So to provide realistic advice to the Op we need to know what he is using. Nothing to do with 'problems' just appropriate application.
Once you have the correct version then adjusting the size of wire to get the correct ride height with the desired weight is the way to go, and I certainly would not suggest less than 20g per axle, if anything that's on the low side.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:00 pm

Sorry everyone. I realised the other day that I had used the RCH versions - as Keith worked out. When I fitted the MR 6 wheel version all was well. In fact I'm very impressed - the ride height is spot on and the ride very good. I think I'm converted.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

Return to “Coaches and NPCS”