Alex Jackson Assembly Jig?

John Fitton

Alex Jackson Assembly Jig?

Postby John Fitton » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:06 pm

Yesterday I made up two of the Palatine jigs for the AJ couplings. The 180 degree jig and the ingenious multilayer jig to perform the other two bends. The assembly is very straightforward and well thought out, and easily executed.

Now that I already have a few perfectly formed couplings, how the heck do I assemble them to spec on my passenger cars?

In the AJ book there is a nice description of an assembly jig showing an upside down wagon nestled with its buffers against a nice looking jig. Is there an assembly jig available commercially yet, or is there one in the works?

It seems to me that after so much effort in marketting the first two jigs, there has to be an assembly jig to complete the process.

nigelcliffe

Re: Alex Jackson Assembly Jig?

Postby nigelcliffe » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:29 pm

I think the jig you are referring to is in the Scalefour Stores with part number AJJ

Whilst the above is very useful jig (I have a home-made version), I suggest that you mount your AJ couplings onto a plate which has slotted holes. The plate is then bolted to rolling stock. That way, fine tuning of the AJ position is possible after the model is completed.

- Nigel

John Fitton

Postby John Fitton » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:42 pm

Thanks Nigel, it just didn't occur to me to check Stores!

John

craig_whilding

Postby craig_whilding » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:20 pm

nigelcliffe wrote:Whilst the above is very useful jig (I have a home-made version), I suggest that you mount your AJ couplings onto a plate which has slotted holes. The plate is then bolted to rolling stock. That way, fine tuning of the AJ position is possible after the model is completed.
- Nigel

Here is an example of hinged AJ's as I think Nigel means.
aj_fitting_uf.jpg

The jig you mention is indeed the one from Scalefour Stores done by Morgan Gilbert before the Palatine jigs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tony W

Postby Tony W » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:49 am

John

What type of AJ coupling are you proposing to use? The AJJ jig referred to above is very useful if you are using the 'fixed' coupling. However, if you are thinking of using the hinged version the jig is not really necessary but the jig to make the correct bend to the pivot plate (Stores reference:AJPJ) is nigh on essential.

However, I note you are asking about fixing AJ's to passenger coaches, which the book doesn't really make reference to. Unfortunately there were too many variables to even attempt going to print with any solutions but if you post some details of the stock you're planning to fit AJ's to I'm sure we could find an appropriate solution.

Regards

Tony

John Fitton

Postby John Fitton » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:03 am

Tony,

You are the culprit for converting me to AJ couplings!! Many thanks!!

I visited Scaleforum in 2009 and was really quite impressed with the advances in jig manufacturing techniques, so I bought the two jigs I mentioned, your own 180 degree jig and the bending jig.

The one I need am about to order is I think the AJJ jig from stores.

My first priority is to convert passenger "end vehicles" and locomotives. My passenger trains are made up into fixed rakes with Kaydees, but for appearance I prefer the AJ which I think can be camougflaged rather better.

All end vehicles are BR Mk 1, 2 or 3 cars with MJT torsion beam suspension. It seems to me that although the parameters of the coupling itself are well defined, the location of the coupling in 3D space after being soldered 2 or 3 inches away from the inner end of the bogie is rather indetrminate, and the ideal candidate for a jig of some description. It appears from the limited data aviable that the AJJ is ideal. Any ideas on this one?

OR, am I in fact better off using hinged couplings attached directly to the body of the cars themselves? Hmmmmm.

My own soldering capabilities are average P4. I can make double slips etc......

John Fitton

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:47 am

craig_whilding wrote:
nigelcliffe wrote:Whilst the above is very useful jig (I have a home-made version), I suggest that you mount your AJ couplings onto a plate which has slotted holes. The plate is then bolted to rolling stock. That way, fine tuning of the AJ position is possible after the model is completed.
- Nigel

Here is an example of hinged AJ's as I think Nigel means.

The plate does illustrate the method, though I also suggest it is used for "fixed sprung" AJ's as well as the hinged/pivot type.

Back at John Fitton's questions on where to mount the AJ's on coaches; this comes down in part to over-hang on curves, the radius of curves and the nature of overhang on other vehicles. These are the same parameters which affect standard OO couplings (and everything else). I think that if curves are tight, then couplings on bogies becomes almost essential (unless overhang is identical on all stock).

- Nigel

Tony W

Postby Tony W » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:50 am

jf2682 wrote:Tony,
You are the culprit for converting me to AJ couplings!! Many thanks!!

Sorry about that.:D

jf2682 wrote:Or, am I in fact better off using hinged couplings attached directly to the body of the cars themselves?

Like many things with AJ's it is just about possible but in this case not really recommended. I agree entirely with Nigel, it comes down in part to over-hang on curves, the radius of curves and the nature of overhang on other vehicles.

I spy a can of worms.......! :?

Tony

John Fitton

Postby John Fitton » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:00 pm

I hadn't thought about the over hang - I have curves down to 3 feet radius, and with Mark 3 cars at 75 scale feet....The MJT units have provision for attaching the coupling directly, and since this was done in conjunction with the MMRS, I believe, then I will take it that the group have looked into this and concluded that the couplings should pivot with the bogies. Our American cousins face a similar dilemma even with the knuckle couplers.

So I will experiment with the assembly jig and see if I can make it work.

Could I suggest that this is somehow addressed in the next revision to the excellent AJ book? The manufacture of the couplings is now a turnkey process - it would complete things nicely if the installation jig is explained for coaches and locos as well.

Thanks to everyone for the very helpful comments.

John

Return to “Coaches and NPCS”