Twin Bolster Wagon Details Required

JerryO

Twin Bolster Wagon Details Required

Postby JerryO » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:01 pm

I am building the Ratio Permanent Way wagon Set Ref 575 which comprises of two ballast wagons and a twin bolster set which have LNWR origin. The ballast wagons have been identified as Diag 62 (See RM Aug 96 P.353), however the twin bolster set is proving a problem to locate details.
The LNWR Wagons Book Vol 1 has a Twin Timber Wagon Diag 13 which is close, but this is made up of 7'6" wheelbase units where as the kit wagons have 9' wheelbases. Can anyone help with the detail of the Twin Bolster set?

Flymo748

Re: Twin Bolster Wagon Details Required

Postby Flymo748 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:07 pm

Hi Jerry,

Not much to add, I'm afraid :-(

I've been through my various LNWR books that I know have wagins in them and turned nothing up that looks like that wheelbase.

I had a similar question a while back when I was trying to find the diagram of one of the other wagons in the Ratio boxed sets. Quoting from my blog:

"In my last post, I was thinking that the greatest hurdle to overcome in restoring the LNWR two plank wagon would be to restore the warped dropsides to some form of straightness. Wrong! I've actually made pretty good progress on that particular task, and they only need a final bit of tweaking (I can't decide whether by the use of solvent, or a carefully waved soldering iron) to get there.

The biggest problem has been to find out what the wagon actually is...

I know that it comes from the Ratio set of four permanent way wagons - I even have an unmade set of the same at home, sitting here next to me. The problem comes that the kit instructions are brief to the extent of not even including any prototype details. They give an LMS painting scheme from 1923 to 1947, and that's it!

I emailed Peco today, as they now seem to be the manufacturers of the Ratio range, and had the helpful response: "Thank you for your Email. Unfortunately we do not have any extra information other than the details supplied with these kits."

So I'm afraid that the manufacturer either doesn't know or doesn't care!

Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

JerryO

Postby JerryO » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:31 pm

Flymo,
Thanks for your reply. I think the two-plank wagons you were previously trying to find info on are to LNWR Diag 62 which are covered in an article by Peter Ellis RM Aug 96 and they are the Ballast Wagons with Dropsides. The article is well worth a read as it covers LNWR Diags 4, 84 & 103 as well.
I have also had a similar experience with Peco when enquiring about the 50T Bogie Ore Wagon, you would think they keep some form of research file on all the items they produce!
Last edited by JerryO on Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flymo748

Postby Flymo748 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:30 pm

JerryO wrote:Flymo,
Thanks for your reply. I think the two-plank wagons you were previously trying to find info on are to LNWR Diag 62 which are covered in an article by Peter Ellis RM Aug 96 and they are the Ballast Wagons with Dropsides. The article is well worth a read as it covers LNWR Diags 4, 84 & 103 as well.

Thanks Jerry. By elimination of working through the diagrams in the LNWR Wagons book, I'd arrived at the same conclusion.

When I last spoke to the Wild Swan Book Stand at an exhibition, they said quite seriously that the Volume 2 would be published during 2010, so I hope that it will be covered in that.

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

grovenor-2685

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:54 pm

By some co-incidence I have transferred a whole stack of Railway Modellers to the recycling bin today and Aug '96 is the only one I singled out to keep. (For a different article) so if you need a copy just ask.
Keith

Return to “Wagons”