New GWR Mink C photo?

Craig Warton

New GWR Mink C photo?

Postby Craig Warton » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:46 am

I like looking at photos and have taken to bidding on negatives that interest me. Nothing too serious as it is just my love of photos that guide me. I found this negative on Ebay and won it. I have all the standard GWR works plus GWRJ etc and I cannot recall seeing it before so I am reasonably confident that it is a new photo. Taken post 1936, the Mink A behind is apparently a V33. Hope it is of interest. I would ask that it not be shared all round the internet please.

Regards,

Craig W
Attachments
img20200912_22295985.jpg

DougN

Re: New GWR Mink C photo?

Postby DougN » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:33 am

Craig that is a great way of keeping the information with in the modelling community. I hope you feel encouraged to build a vehicle to look like that!

Just looking at the background on the left it is interesting in that the fence closest to camera is corrigauted iron, then a sleeper built fence in very good condition which then appears to have corrugated iron on the other side and to extend to height up. Always interesting to look at the back ground. Also the wagon behind appears to only have brakes on one side.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

nf.newling

Postby nf.newling » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:08 am

I find the buffers fitted to the Mink C surprising. The housings seem too short for a vacuum fitted wagon although the buffers themselves look to be the right length, given how much buffer shank is visible.

Noel

Postby Noel » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:51 am

DougN wrote: Also the wagon behind appears to only have brakes on one side.

It has 2 shoe Morton, with the brake shoes on the side with the reversing clutch, which was standard practice. There is a cross shaft, which is largely hidden behind the axle, but it is clear that the relationship between lever and "V" hanger is different on each side, confirming the cross shaft. So, only two shoes [not uncommon] but operable from both sides so in line with BoT rules.

The number confirms it is V33.
Regards
Noel

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:32 pm

Thanks Noel, The wagons with single sided brakes and 2 sided for levers are an interest as I think too many wagons have brakes both sides which is a throw back to "Hornby" RTR standard moulding. I don't think the wagon stock of the big 4 and earlier changed very quickly.

it is one of the things I have been thinking about as the liveries were changed quickly on top link service but the lower didnt until required to go through the works. Wagons I suspect unless they were in need of maintenance didnt get touched for years!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:54 pm

Looking closely at the picture it seems to me that there are brake shoes etc on the other side of the vehicle.

Philip

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:44 am

Philip Hall wrote:Looking closely at the picture it seems to me that there are brake shoes etc on the other side of the vehicle.

Philip

I agree. If you enlarge the photo you can see the brake safety loops hanging down on the other side.

Gordon A

martin finney

Postby martin finney » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:01 am

I'm sorry but I cannot agree. All I see are the cross shaft, 'V' hanger and brake lever.
No push rods, shoes or safety loops.
Fantastic picture!

Martin

David B

Postby David B » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:43 am

I can see a brake handle, V hanger and ratchet on the far side, but nothing else - no brake shoes. One-side brake.

Will L

Postby Will L » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:28 am

Looking at a the photo as big as my PC will manage, I can see that the two door wagon in the foreground does have double sided GWR style brakes with all the necessary bits (quite clearly), and the single door wagon behind it probably has single sided brakes with levers on both sides with the clutch and brakes on the near side.

What I don't know is which of the wagons in the photo is a GWR Mink C. :?

Noel

Postby Noel » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:16 pm

Will L wrote:What I don't know is which of the wagons in the photo is a GWR Mink C.

The big one nearer the photographer. It has 4 shoe DCIII brakes, as it was built with VB. The V33 behind it is not VB and so is just a Mink.

David B wrote:I can see a brake handle, V hanger and ratchet on the far side, but nothing else - no brake shoes. One-side brake.

Logically, there would not be a lever on the far side without something for it to operate, hence the cross shaft. So far as BoT rules are concerned, it is not a single sided brake, as the brakes can be applied from either side, whilst the clutches in the system ensure the brake can only be taken off again from the side on which it was applied.
Regards
Noel

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:20 pm

No one has commented on the (relatively) unusual diagonal side bracing between the doors. Mink C's usually had 'X diagonal bracing between the doors, plus a central vertical. Other Mink C's with the single diagonal bracing like the example above include 16308 and 79065, while on 16253, 82174 and an unidentified one, it slopes upwards to the left. On 16253 and the unidentified one, it looks as if the diagonal bracing is original and the / sloping arm has simply been removed. All the photos I have of thse wagons have the small size 'GW' and numbers or were taken in BR days, so preumably they were a modification.

John Lewis

johndarch

Postby johndarch » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:12 pm

I agree with Gordon re safety loops on the far side. Isn't this fun!

Return to “Wagons”