Sprung couplings

David B

Sprung couplings

Postby David B » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:40 am

I have come to a crisis point with couplings. For a long time I have been using Exactoscale coupling hooks and their links but some stock, with rigid buffers, does not want to go round corners which are much more than a straight line.

The clear answer is to spring the buffers and i m doing this with new builds but the simplest solution to the problem where it exists is to spring the coupling. The springs and washers from Exactoscale have not been around for some time and I gather were not plentiful when they were, so I am most probably looking at changing my standard.

What do other modellers use if they spring their couplings? What is recommended? I want to be consistent with the coupling hooks and have a number of Exactoscale ones in stock, but I might have to change these.

I have made a request under the Private Wants section for springs and/or Exactoscale springing packs.

garethevans1986

Re: Sprung couplings

Postby garethevans1986 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:46 am

Could elongating one of the loops a little help?
Gareth O. Evans
IT Consultant/Director of Web46 IT Solutions

Member of the Barrowmore Model Railway Group
Diesel Crank

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:13 pm

It might be possible to wind your own small springs, with very fine wire wound around (at a guess) 0.8 mm wire which would open up to about 1mm or so. The wire you use would not have to be spring steel like guitar string, brass would do. I have some odd bits of brass wire about 0.25 mm.

Only an idea, I’ve wound lots of springs but never this small!

Philip

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:16 pm

Can the fixed-buffered wagons not be fitted with a "leaf" spring for the drawhook, made of a length of spring wire across the back of the headstock?

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:24 pm

David B

Postby David B » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:13 pm

Thank you for the replies so far.

Extending the links is difficult as the Exactoscale ones are already made up. I do recall an article somewhere (some time ago) where someone was making their own links. Can someone point me to this article? In it, wire of an appropriate diameter was wrapped round a former to give it shape and then cut along the former to make the links. Perhaps this was the guitar string Philip has mentioned.

I like the idea of the leaf spring as this could be incorporated to spring the buffers as per prototypes. Has anyone tried doing this?

Thanks for the pointer, Jol. I have ordered some springs to see how good the will be.

I am still interested in other modellers' experiences.

grovenor-2685

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:04 am

I like the idea of the leaf spring as this could be incorporated to spring the buffers as per prototypes. Has anyone tried doing this?

Is that not exactly the Exactoscale version that you have put your "Want ad" out for?
Regards

David B

Postby David B » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:08 am

grovenor-2685 wrote:

Is that not exactly the Exactoscale version that you have put your "Want ad" out for?
Regards

No, Keith. The Exactoscale system I have asked for is solely on the coupling, a spring with a small washer that has a square hole.

Joe Newman

Postby Joe Newman » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:25 am

David

Making three link couplings around a former was described by John Hayes on p. 149 of The 4mm Coal Wagon.

I hope this is what you are looking for.

Best wishes.

Joe

Will L

Postby Will L » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:04 pm

David B wrote:...I like the idea of the leaf spring as this could be incorporated to spring the buffers as per prototypes. Has anyone tried doing this?..

Didn't PC models (remember them) do a version of this? The "leaf spring" was etched from phosphor bronze.

grovenor-2685

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:32 pm

Return to “Wagons”