LMS Milk Tank

Serjt-Dave

LMS Milk Tank

Postby Serjt-Dave » Fri May 25, 2018 4:20 pm

I have been constructing a David Geen LMS Milk Tank. I have used the Rumney chassis which was fine but the final fitting of the original kit are little interesting to say the least. I've finished the chassis but have come to a halt on the tank itself. I have four cast parts semi-circular in shape for which I have no real idea what they do or where they go. They must be something to do with the ends of the tank but there is no mention of them in the instructions. There is also a etched wrapper which I believe to be what the instruction call the "cowl", but this doesn't go all the way around the brass tube which form the tank. If any one has built these before please can you help and advise me. I don't want to bother David Geen as he's not very well at the moment. Thanks.
Attachments
20180526_163550.jpg

Noel

Re: LMS Milk Tank

Postby Noel » Fri May 25, 2018 9:33 pm

Some, but by no means all, milk tanks had provision for directing an air flow along the tank, for cooling purposes. The 'cowl' is the main part of this, which was spaced away from the tank to provide the air flow. The cast semi-circles are two different ends to the cowl, the prototype being flared outwards to capture a larger volume of air than a plain end would, and hence increase cooling. See https://marketlavingtonmuseum.wordpress.com/2011/09/02/a-west-park-dairy-wagon/ and https://www.steampicturelibrary.com/3000-gallon-milk-tank-no-2596-for-express-dairy/print/9116613.html. The cowl only covers the top half of the tank.

I haven't built one, but hope this helps.
Regards
Noel

grovenor-2685

Postby grovenor-2685 » Fri May 25, 2018 9:47 pm

Perhaps clearer on this picture Image
Regards

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Fri May 25, 2018 10:41 pm

Thanks Noel and Kieth. This makes total sense now. The instructions don't show any of what I see in your images. All the images supplied by DG show only the LMS version and without the cowl and the flared ends. They do state about either using the cowl or not, and the flared bits are referred to as the cast ends, which I was assuming meant the cast ends of the tank. To which if you use the same end caps for both cowed and un-cowed they are a poor fit in the un-cowed version. A lot of filler required me thinks. I will post an image to show you what I mean.

Again thanks for your assistance.

Dave

Noel

Postby Noel » Sat May 26, 2018 11:30 am

Serjt-Dave wrote:All the images supplied by DG show only the LMS version and without the cowl and the flared ends.

The chassis belonged to the railway company, but the tanks, and therefore presumably the cowl, belonged to the dairy, so its presence or absence will depend on the dairy's policy. The Express dairy cowls don't seem to have survived into later BR days, but when they were removed I don't know. A dated photo of your prototype may be a necessity...
Regards
Noel

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sun May 27, 2018 7:02 am

Thanks Noel. It looks like the same for United Dairies as well. The cowl didn't last long into service.

Well the cowl parts have now been dispatched to the spar parts box where they won't trouble anyone again. LOL. This leaves the problem of fitting the cast end cap to the main tube {tank}. As you can it's not a good joint, also the the little lump sticking out is meant to be the lifting lug. This needs to be just proud of the top of the tank. Some chopping and filling required.
20180527_222206.jpg

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Mon May 28, 2018 11:42 am

You might want to see what Justin Newitt of Rumney models developed for those. That's if you don't already know...

http://website.rumneymodels.co.uk/milk- ... -detailing

Mike

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Mon May 28, 2018 8:58 pm

Thanks Mike. Rumney Models don't make the replacement ends for the tanks so will make do with the DG originals. Will post once I have made up the tanks.

Dave

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:48 pm

Completed the tank of my milk tank wagon. happy with the way the ends have turned out. It's primed and ready for it's top coat what ever that colour is? Originally United Dairies painted there's in white but looking at examples in the 1950's they are not white anymore. The example on Rumney Models website looks a silver colour. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Dave
Attachments
20180613_165446.jpg
20180613_165300.jpg

Noel

Postby Noel » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:29 pm

Several of the United Dairies/Unigate tanks shown in David Larkin's BR General Parcels Rolling Stock are in silver, with states of dirt varying between quite a bit and a lot. The exceptions are two in white and orange "St. Ivel" livery, both probably recently painted, and one in plain orange; all of these have external cladding over the holding down straps, as do some of the silver ones. The photos are all circa 1970.

Hope this helps.
Regards
Noel

Return to “Wagons”