GWR Cordon twin tank kit

steve howe

GWR Cordon twin tank kit

Postby steve howe » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:15 am

Last edited by John McAleely on Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Originally a for-sale thread, item now sold. Thread moved to preserve the replies

Joe Newman

Re: GWR Cordon twin tank kit

Postby Joe Newman » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:21 pm

In my experience, this is a 'challenging kit. It can be used to produce a model that, while not strictly accurate, creates a good impression of such vehicles. However, the David Geen shorter DD5 vehicle is much more accurate and user-friendly.

I found forming the actual cylinders very difficult. The flat sheet has to be rolled to form a tube and soldered up. Then the centre layer is soldered on. The cast white metal domed ends which go into the ends of the tubes formed were a nightmare to fit. The gauges and distinctive valve covers are not provided.

The chassis is, frankly, awful with the W irons, V hangars and brake gear all etched in the same plane.

I used the planked floor and created the underframe from brass channel and the running gear from Masokits and other components. I did, however, use the brass buffers.

Fine if you are up for it but otherwise ''caveat emptor'

I hope this is helpful.

Joe

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:51 pm

My understanding has always been that the Jidenco kit represented a gas tank wagon built by the Cambrian Railways, which the GWR inherited at Grouping.

AFAICR, the ex-Cambrian gas tank(s) didn't get a GWR diagram number.

As mentioned, the David Geen kit represents the shorter GWR 'standard' twin gas tank wagon (Cordon) (DD5).

I don't think the Jidenco kit is necessarily 'wrong', just a model of a less common prototype.

David B

Postby David B » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:15 pm

Joe is quite right about the underframe. If you can get a copy of the short-lived Finescale Review No.1, I wrote an article on making the Falcon Brass (originally Jidenco) 9 tank Cordon. In it, I described how I modified the underframe.

If you can't get a copy and would like one (of the article), send me an email.

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:10 pm

A most interesting discussion is in progress on the GWR e-list yahoo group
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/GWR-ELIST/conversations/topics/70284
regarding the workings of Cordons and their actual use. I had always assumed they were sent to stations that did not have a mains gas supply, however the question has been raised were they for replenishment of coaches with gas lighting or kitchen cars where cooking stoves were used? but this would suggest they would have only been seen at larger termini, and quite often they turned up in rural locations. The point has been made, quite rightly, that those stations not connected to mains gas were generally lit by oil lamps, and some stations i.e Truro or Aberystwyth which would have had access to mains gas, regularly had Cordons parked in their bay sidings.

Anyone throw any (gas)light on the matter?

Steve

David B

Postby David B » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:40 pm

steve howe wrote:A most interesting discussion is in progress on the GWR e-list yahoo group
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/GWR-ELIST/conversations/topics/70284
regarding the workings of Cordons and their actual use. I had always assumed they were sent to stations that did not have a mains gas supply, however the question has been raised were they for replenishment of coaches with gas lighting or kitchen cars where cooking stoves were used? but this would suggest they would have only been seen at larger termini, and quite often they turned up in rural locations. The point has been made, quite rightly, that those stations not connected to mains gas were generally lit by oil lamps, and some stations i.e Truro or Aberystwyth which would have had access to mains gas, regularly had Cordons parked in their bay sidings.

Anyone throw any (gas)light on the matter?

Whilst a number of smaller, remote stations were oil lit, some, as I have always understood it, were gas lit from Cordons. Not only were the main buildings supplied, so were yard lamps and goods sheds. Perhaps these stations were built or 'modernised' when gas lighting was replacing oil. Aberystwyth and Truro were stations at which some trains terminated or had bits taken off and added to trains, so had their tanks replenished from Cordons.

kelham

Postby kelham » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:15 am

No, the concensus is that Cordons carried oil gas, and were purely for replenishing coach lighting etc. Stations not on town (or coal) gas were lit by oil lamps, latterly the more efficient Tilley lamps. More important stations often received electric lighting in the C20, but more remote stations were oil lit until the end.

Please don't spread any more fake news!

kelham

Postby kelham » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:28 am

As a follow-up, the 1936 General Appendix has a list of stations where coaches can be gassed while standing in the platform roads – via underground pipes. To no great surprise, the stations are:

Paddington
Swindon
Bristol TM
Exeter
Cardiff
Worcester
Wolverhampton
Birkenhead

Richard

Return to “Wagons”