Converting a Mainline GWR Macaw B to P4.

John Lewis

Converting a Mainline GWR Macaw B to P4.

Postby John Lewis » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:16 pm

Has anyone managed to convert a Mainline Macaw B to P4, please? If so, how did you do it?

I have one in my "to do" box(es): the bogies look rather good, but I have not yet found if it is possible to remove them from the wagon and if you can fit P4 wheelsets in place of the OO ones.

Any help much appreciated.

John

Noel

Re: Converting a Mainline GWR Macaw B to P4.

Postby Noel » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:21 pm

The bogies clip into the body and can be carefully pulled out, although it may take a little effort. They seem to clip back in again without any problem, and continue to function. The bogies, unlike some Bachmann, are just wide enough to take P4 wheelsets. Clearances are a bit tight, but adequate for reasonable curves. Since I use 3-links I replaced the buffers with ABS large headed GWR self contained, and I replaced the brake hangers and levers with the BR version for Dia 1/473 [the ones moulded on are quite inaccurate]. It's a long time since I did it [1988!] but I seem to remember I couldn't remove the u/frame moulding with the bracing on it, so couldn't increase the weight; it's still rather light. I drilled holes for the replacement brake 'V's. These days I might try harder to remove the moulding and replace it, if necessary, with Justin's detailing parts http://website.rumneymodels.co.uk/bogie-steel-wagon-kits.

wagon64.jpg
wagon64.jpg (35.94 KiB) Viewed 480 times
Noel

John Lewis

Re: Converting a Mainline GWR Macaw B to P4.

Postby John Lewis » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:37 pm

Noel

Thank you very much, this was helpful.

John

Return to “Wagons”