Cowan Sheldon 15Ton crane

DougN

Cowan Sheldon 15Ton crane

Postby DougN » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:57 am

I have managed to get my little hands :D on a D&S kit 802 for a 15ton crane. It was a little unexpected but as it is a D&S kit and I have finished 2 items out of the "one day box" I thought "why not?"

Now for the hard questions.

What is the best source of information on these cranes and if any one knows specifically, the NER crane?

As this looks to be a complicated kit with alot of bits and only having some knowledge of what goes where from the instructions I was going to ask if people could give me any pointers and even better a few photos of the finished item. The locations of the parts looks to be quite a challenge as identifying the parts looks to be half of the challange!

Does any one know of what the riding truck was. the instructions have it as a LNER plate wagon?

I am not sure that a Parkside wagon would be a good match being plastic and the crane being brass/whitemetal

thanks

Doug
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Jim Summers

Re: Cowan Sheldon 15Ton crane

Postby Jim Summers » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:49 am

Doug,
I have only recently started mine, but I see I put a note in its box many years ago that Tim Shackleton wrote an article on building the crane in RailModelDigest No. 5.

And before you ask, regrettably I no longer seem to have a copy, but someone might.

I do however have a copy of the drawing of the Highland Railway 15ton crane by Cowans Sheldon from Model Railway Constructor of July 1970. That was built in 1886 as opposed to the D&S kit of the 1893 onwards cranes. I can let you see that, if you send me a PM.

If you are really into cranes, then Peter Tatlow's recent books and drawings say it all and more.

Jim

DougN

Postby DougN » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:46 am

Well that is interesting Jim, I have a total of 4 of the rail model digests so of course I am missing volumes 2 and the one that we need 5!

I would like to hope some where out there a member might be able to scan the pages for both of us!
Doug

Joe Newman

Postby Joe Newman » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:49 am

Doug,

I do have a copy of issue 5.

I can easily scan the article for you - 6 pages in black and white.

Could you send me a PM?

Best wishes.

Joe

Will L

Postby Will L » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:16 am

Doug

I got most of the way through building one of these when the kit was new, and I found that I was able to resolve what went where from the instructions without too much difficulty. It is even possible to get some of the gearing to work, though being made of white metal, not for long. However I was aware that in terms of cab fittings and possibly a roof, the kit was deficient. When the layout it was aimed at came off the exhibition circuit work stopped on the crane, and the GN engineering train that was going to go with it. Since then after some years in a display cabinet, it has since spent more years sitting with David Burton (Brassmasters) as he was looking to design an add on which would have made it suitable for GWR use which hopefully will included some of the missing bits for GN use. However designing each new iteration of EasiChas kits has been taking up much of David;s modelling tine and the crane project goes very slowly. For this reason I'm afraid I am unable to furnish you with any detail pictures at least in the short term. What I can tell you is that there was a suitable plate wagon in the D&S range and that is the only part of the full project that has made it to completion (less lettering). D&S also did a GN 6 wheel full brake which will make an a good ridding van for the crane crew, and yes I have a kit for that too, although I also have already built one of those for passenger train use.

I acquired a copy of the relevant volume (1) of Peter Tatlows book when it appeared which is a must have if you want to build one today, although it may make you aware of more place where the kit would benefit from improvement.

What I can do have to wet your appetite, is a picture of a competed kit done up in Midland quise which belongs to Ron Dickinson.
rons crane.jpg

N.B. While both Ron and David are Society Members, neither are regulars on the Forum

DougN

Postby DougN » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:30 pm

Thanks Will, the GNR version looks very nice. My preference is to go for the NER version. I will have to find out who has the plate wagon from the D&S collection, it could be 51L or others though.
Doug

DougN

Postby DougN » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:06 pm

Continuing to search for more info and a match truckfor the NER version. Does any one know if there are any photos in the Peter Tatlow book. I have found another photo of a match truck in the LNER vol 2 of the wagons book. But this is for a hand crane rather than the steam 15t that is the crane I am looking to build!

Does anyone have more info. I am thinking to leave the match truck until I have built the crane.
Doug

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:14 pm

Doug, I suggest you buy the old man's book!! The NER took two batches of 15 ton cranes; a pair with curved jibs and a single one with the swan neck jib.

No photo in the book that definitively shows the match truck to the first batch but there is a photograph of the Gateshead train in 1907 where the wagon behind it might be a match wagon. This is the text on the NER match wagons for the first batch:

"At some stage one crane at least had a 2-plank fixed-sided match wagon. The crane initially stationed at Gateshead, No jib rest was provided at this time, instead the job was held on derricking tackle, and bridle gear fitted to restrain the lateral movement of the job. At a fairly early stage the hoisting chain was replaced by steel wire rope on this crane. When in 1912 the 15-ton crane at Gateshead was replaced by a 35 ton Craven crane, the match wagon appears to have been transferred to the new crane and again to the Cowans Sheldon crane in 1916."

The equivalent text for the second batch crane is as follows:

Initially a 2-plank dropside wagon was attached as a match truck. Subsequently, by 1938, this was replaced by a LNER 12 ton all steel plate wagon to diagram 65. In both cases no jib rest was provided.

There is a photograph of the post 1938 match wagon in the book.

So which one are you after; it sounds like my father has more on the first batch cranes to have derived what he has written above, so I can enquire?
Mark Tatlow

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:55 pm

Perfect Mark. that gives me exactly the information I was chasing! :thumb I will ask around locally as funds are a bit tight to purchase another book. though as they say Christmas is coming.

I will have to go for the 2 plank NER flat wagon or bash another into submission. Saying that I am waiting for a delivery from Wizard models of other things. I expect that any wagon I choose will have to be a white metal one as the crane is seriously heavy.
Doug

DougN

Postby DougN » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:55 am

Well I have just found that David Geen has a Dia B1, 2 plank open which might work out fine :thumb . Though I think it will be in the new year before I could purchase one!
Doug

DougN

Postby DougN » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:22 pm

Thanks to Joe, he has provided me a scan of Model railways March 1990 which has some great information on the cranes and the 2 owned by NER.

Looks like I might have enough information now to have a go at the kit. I will also find the links to RMweb I have collected to keep all the information in one spot.
Doug

Lindsay G

Postby Lindsay G » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:21 pm

I have to agree that Peter Tatlow's book is a great source of information and images - and a damned interesting book to read and ogle over into the bargain.

By co-incidence, I'm presently mulling over conversion of the D&S kit to one of the 2 ordered by the Caledonian Railway which were forerunners to Cowan Sheldon's standard 15t crane - so many alterations to be made, or supplied parts discarded, that's it's quite off-putting and disheartening. Anyone need every etched part for the curved jib assembly? Methinks it will be less effort to scratch build the vehicles that might have made up the rest of a breakdown train!

Might I also ask Joe for a copy of the article? I think I've sussed where most parts go but there are some parts numbered on the etch that don't seem to be mentioned in the instructions (which remind me of those documents produced on a Banda machine. "A Banda what?", I hear those of middle age or younger asking).

Cheers,

Lindsay

Will L

Postby Will L » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:35 pm

Lindsay G wrote:... the instructions (which remind me of those documents produced on a Banda machine. "A Banda what?", I hear those of middle age or younger asking).

I know what you mean but its unlikely, as I remember it, Danny Pinnock worked for Xerox before he took up model making.

Joe Newman

Postby Joe Newman » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:54 am

Lindsay,

If you send me a PM I will gladly send you a copy of the article.

Best wishes.

Joe

DougN

Postby DougN » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:19 pm

OK so the other week was Melbourne Cup holiday.... to which I added a day of annual leave so I had a 4 day weekend. I have been looking forward to starting the crane above so to start with this is what you are faced with
DSC_0162.JPG

I have amassed thanks to all above and a couple of others a fair bit of information and a single photo of the NER crane in LNER days. so I started the actual construction of the kit. The instructions take a bit to work through so between the photos and the instructions at the end of the first days play was:-
DSC_0165.JPG

DSC_0166.JPG

Then as I continued over the next few days :-
DSC_0167.JPG

DSC_0168.JPG

DSC_0169.JPG

DSC_0170.JPG

I have to straighten the job as it is on a bit of an angle, install the cylinders and hand rails then look to the painting.

I hope that people can see into the machine deck and see the positions of the various cogs/ gears and drivers. it takes a bit to work out the locations and to get everything to fit around the King post. The one gear I found to be needing to be cut down in height was the "slew gear" which is a small mushroom looking cog that goes on the truck to the front of the machine deck. this seemed too tall against the smaller bracket mounted gears which were to be fixed to the lower platform (the one with the hole for the king pin) If people are interested I could name the cogs and drives. Such as the slew gear, (makes the crane deck rotate) the luffing (or derricking) gear Raise and lowers the jib, with finally the lifting gear (makes the hook lift and lower)

Generally I am close to completing this one... In between the day job, and chasing the family around Melbourne for christmas and Birthdays! :shock:

I must admit that it is interesting as at work I am in the middle of the planning for a new 9 story building with a Hammer head tower crane to lift 7ton at 40m! along with 2 level basement.. I wonder why I need models are needing to change my concentration!
Doug

DougN

Postby DougN » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:30 am

Well looking at those photos I need to take some better ones with a better depth of field. Ok i'll try to do that this weekend... though the house is invaded by the extended family for Ms DougN's 12th Birthday then invaded by Ms DougN's friends for a lack of sleep over! I may escape to the railway room and close the door :thumb

Any how it is enjoyable to do some model building.... it is a little warm though.. only averaging 30 each day.... Warm for Melbourne in November. :D
Doug

Return to “Wagons”