Bachmann fruit van

steve howe

Bachmann fruit van

Postby steve howe » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:42 pm

Helping out with our club's 00 GWR branch terminus at a show this weekend. I had chance to look at just how good some of the recent RTR wagon stock really is, in particular my clubmate's Bachmann GWR 12T fruit van:

Tempted to get a couple for the perishables traffic, presumably the underworks are the main let-down? anyone had any experiences of conversion to P4?

Steve

jim s-w

Re: Bachmann fruit van

Postby jim s-w » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:34 pm

Hi Steve

I think that's the ex mainline one. It's far from recent, even the box must be getting on for 10 years old. ;)

Stick some wheels in and see what it does.

Cheers

Jim

dmsmith

Postby dmsmith » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:36 pm

Unfortunately, although the body moulding is very nice, it is too wide. I did manage to slice an old ex-Mainline British Railways fruit van down the middle and glue the two halves back together, without ruining the lettering. All I needed to do was repaint the roof and weather the ends. I then fitted a Morgan Designs sprung underframe.

Good luck if you give it a try!
David

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:19 pm

I too have sliced one down the middle, including the roof. Mine was a long time ago (I think Geoff Kent pointed out the discrepancy in one of his books) so I think I put a Ratio underframe under it.

The tendency to make wagons too wide, at least box vans, still happens in the RTR world. The new(ish) Bachmann SR goods vans are a little too wide for some reason I can't fathom. If all your vans are from one source, the discrepancy will not be obvious, but if they are mixed a wide one will stand out.

Philip

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:30 am

Seems really silly to put an over-wide body on a 'narrow gauge' underframe, there must be a reason for it. I can't see that the injection moulding process should cause it, and with a dearth of pre-school modellers even in OO it surely can't be "little fingers need something chunky to get hold of". Anyone have a believable explanation?
David L-T

Return to “Wagons”