Wagon loads

jim s-w

Wagon loads

Postby jim s-w » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:25 pm

Hi all

I have to admit I'm somewhat surprised at the lack of info and prototype pictures of loaded goods wagons. I've done a fair bit of searching and haven't really turned up with anything. The info must be somewhere so where am I missing it from?

I'm looking for traditional 1950s opens and flat wagons really. Any pointers?

Jim
Last edited by jim s-w on Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Palmer

Re: Wagon loads

Postby John Palmer » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:37 pm

http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/Prototype.html has various British Railways Board publications covering loading of opens, etc, in .pdf format and may be of assistance.

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:48 pm

Do you have a copy of this? It's on my 'to buy' list but has not reached the top yet, as it's strictly outside my period. Having said that, many of the photos/instructional booklets Grouping and pre-Grouping companies issued on the loading of wagons should still be relevant for how loads were carried, but I suspect you need to be much more specific about where and when (is this for Brettell Road?) before you can get a handle on what loads were carried.
David L-T

grovenor-2685

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:49 pm

The various Bob Essery books and articles on operations in such mags as Midland Record and the LMS equivalent have quite a lot of pictures of goods yards full of loaded wagons.
Regards

newport_rod

Postby newport_rod » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:09 pm

Have you tried J.H.Russell's Freight Wagons and Loads in Service on the Great Western Railway and British Rail, Western region pub OPC

Noel

Postby Noel » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:01 pm

The link posted by Dal-t is to a two volume work (the Amazon picture is the original, before Vol 2 was issued). It does include some 'steam era' interest, but largely deals with later or special loads (i.e. the very large or long). Another book which has some interesting pictures, but which also mostly deals with later matters is "Focus on Freight: Eastern Region Freight since 1960", Shaun Pearce, Ian Allan 1995, 0 7110 2345 X. Works by David Larkin, either the old Bradford Barton series, or the current Kestrel Railway Books series, are always interesting. Another possibility is the Cheona series http://cheona_publications.tripod.com/rip_index.htm. Rod's suggestion is good, and all wagon books on any of the "Big 4" are potentially useful; they used rule books which were very similar (presumably resulting from discussion at the RCH) which leads on to their respective General Appendices to the Rule books. These too were pretty standardised, and go into considerable detail as to how loads were to be secured. BR's BR20424-8 [on the Barrowmore site linked to by John Palmer] largely showed only evolutionary changes dictated by circumstances. As usual, what actually happened didn't always match the rules...

HTH
Regards
Noel

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:21 pm

Thanks all. Some good pointers.

My plan is most of the open freight is passing through to somewhere else (thus a reason it's not unloaded) so it could pretty much be anything.

Cheers

Jim

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:23 pm

If it's passing through in open wagons, you mainly need details of BR-era sheets and how they were secured. Very little would travel unsheeted.

Is there any steel traffic through Brettell Road?

Colin Parks

Postby Colin Parks » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:28 pm

Hi Jim,

Your query re. wagon loads reminded me of a picture found on here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85326-dave-fs-photos-ongoing-more-added-6th-june/page-282

See post #7046 of this vast topic for a good view of some loaded open wagons which might help.

Colin

Noel

Postby Noel » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:28 pm

An insulated van still in white in the mid-1960s and timber in opens, which probably should be sheeted and isn't :) . Which reminds me of one source I left out, which is the various landscape format colour albums, although there are usually only a few goods trains per volume. I have two different pictures of Stechford Goods Yard in two of them, with lots of wagons on view. In one there are 8 fitted wagons visible, no two of them the same colour, two open wagon interiors, both unpainted of course, but different colours [and neither of them brown], and a variety of loads... A lot of wagons travelled empty, of course, on their way back to storage pending further use. I can't remember the actual statistics, but most wagons of that era, not just special purpose ones, spent more time running empty or standing in sidings than in revenue traffic.
Regards
Noel

Return to “Wagons”