Rumney Models clasp brake underframe

Highpeak

Rumney Models clasp brake underframe

Postby Highpeak » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:15 pm

At Scaleforum recently I spent some time talking to Justin Newitt and some of his products made their way back to the US with me. All of the material I had seen about his underframe kits whether on this forum or in MRJ suggested that they were a well-designed product, so I was eager to see how I would get on with them.

The kit for the clasp brake underframe certainly challenges you to be on your best game for folding and soldering, but it doesn't demand anything that requires extraordinary ability, just a careful and methodical approach in harmony with the way the kit is designed. The tab and slot construction works well but does require some care in preparation of the parts. I failed to do this with the slots in the W-iron where the brake assemblies fit but in the end it didn't much matter because there was also provision to align things with a pin for all but two of the brakes.

The brake linkage and its overlay are well thought through and the brake yokes are brilliant. The lever guards are probably the best replication of these that I have come across. It might be worth Justin's time to make up a fret of some of these components as separate parts.

I have a dreadfully scattershot approach to model making and have drawers full of part-finished projects, so when I say that I have not been tempted to put this kit to one side to start something else I think it says a lot about the kit. It's a bit like a good book, you can't put it down because you want to see how it ends.

I think I am barely average when it comes to this sort of work so the results owe more to Justin's design work than anything else:
IMGP1020.JPG
Neville
If at first you don't succeed, try reading the instructions.

iak

Re: Rumney Models clasp brake underframe

Postby iak » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:06 pm

Splendid job mon.
As a Rumney addict, be assured that you will want more.
It's a very pleasurable addiction....
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it....

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

Coronach

Postby Coronach » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:42 pm

I also have a few of these to do though admittedly a slight deficit of confidence is preventing me getting started on them so far!

Lord Colnago

Postby Lord Colnago » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:13 pm

Coronach wrote:I also have a few of these to do though admittedly a slight deficit of confidence is preventing me getting started on them so far!

Hi David,

Have no fear, follow the instructions, take your time and you should have a model you'll be proud of.

John.
The second best priest

Highpeak

Postby Highpeak » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:27 pm

I can only second that post.

The instructions can be a bit overwhelming at first but don't let that put you off. They repay a careful read with the etch in front of you so you can become familiar with the steps. The instructions do cover several options so you may want to strike through the steps that don't apply.

You do need to be a decent hand with a soldering iron but I don't think there is anything there that calls for extraordinary ability. I did use a Resistance Unit for a few things but mostly because I only had a needle point bit in my 45w iron and it didn't transfer enough heat. I don't think an RSU is by any means vital to the job if you have a decent iron.

The other thing I would add since M'Lord is too modest to do so is that a visit to the two tutorials he has posted at viewforum.php?f=104 is a good idea. Among many other things, there is a good account of making up the lever guards which helped me tremendously.
Neville

Coronach

Postby Coronach » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:56 pm

Thank you, gents, that tutuorial is indeed enlightening.
This project will be pushing my comfort zone a little but that's exactly what you need if your skills are to develop.

Dave.

Highpeak

Postby Highpeak » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:36 am

I pressed on and finally got the underframe into the paint shop.

There's a lot of work in this kit but I think any reasonable replica of a clasp brakes involves a lot of work, at least with Justin's kit you have his design work to ensure that it will all line up properly. I've done this type of underframe as a home-brew job and I think it's an easier project with this kit.

IMGP1026.JPG
Neville

garethashenden

Postby garethashenden » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:26 pm

Excellent work Neville! :thumb

Coronach

Postby Coronach » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:49 pm

That actually is rather impressive!

Dave.

Return to “Wagons”