Morgan design GWR etched solebars

philpill

Morgan design GWR etched solebars

Postby philpill » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:39 am

has anybody found a way of painting the etched wagon number plates , i.e. white lettering on black background without using micro brushes :D

David Knight

Re: Morgan design GWR etched solebars

Postby David Knight » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:43 pm

Phil,
Have you tried painting the whole plate white, allowing it to dry, then a coat of black which is then carefully wiped off the high points while still damp?

Cheers

David

Will L

Postby Will L » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:46 pm

I would have thought that dry brushing would do the trick.

Paint it black, let it dry. Lightly drip a brush in the white, work the bulk of the paint off on to a scrap pad, then gently brush over the plate. A small quantity of white will rub off the nearly dry brush (hence the name of the technique) on the high points. Repeat until you get a descent coat of white on the lettering. Don't try and rush it.

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:29 pm

Either method works for me (black first or white first) but I find both require a level of care/skill which I can't always muster. I have actually moved from using a hard white undercoat/splosh black, wipe or scratch off highpoints (which is an extension of the silver undercoat/remove body colour for 'chipping' method of weathering) to the black background/touch white to the highpoints approach, because it does seem to give me better success, but YMMV. If you do go that way consider investing in a Tamiya Gloss White marker (essentially a fibre pen loaded with paint pigment), which is more consistent than a genuine 'dry brush' (the variability of the latter, however, is better for its principal purpose of letting down bodycolour by catching edges with a highlight).
David L-T

philpill

Postby philpill » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:16 pm

thanks all will try again :D :D

philpill

Postby philpill » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:27 pm

Hi David thanks for tip tried googling the pen but the only offers so far are from hong kong,the states or australia did you buy one in the uk thanks phil

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:03 am

Hi Phil,

Yes, I have several (variety of colours) and they were all bought in the UK either from my LMS or Art Shop. If you can bear to be seen near one, the type of Model Shop that has piles of plastic kits rather than finescale railway items is more likely to carry them. I think (casting my mind back a while now and memory faded from the French sun) Tamiya have a separate fitment for them, which is often alongside the rack for their main paint range, or sometimes near the till to prompt 'impulse buys'! HTH.
David L-T

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:42 am

dal-t wrote: If you do go that way consider investing in a Tamiya Gloss White marker (essentially a fibre pen loaded with paint pigment), which is more consistent than a genuine 'dry brush' (the variability of the latter, however, is better for its principal purpose of letting down bodycolour by catching edges with a highlight).

You mean these?
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa.biz

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:16 am

Actually no, although that might just work. The type I use is shown here. But I have just noted Tamiya's website for the item says 'not available in some countries', and knowing they have had trouble with EU regulations in the past, I wonder if they have now withdrawn them from Europe? If so, a restored supply could be an early (and only?) win for Brexit ...
David L-T

philpill

Postby philpill » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:44 pm

my LMS not sure who that is

Flymo748

Postby Flymo748 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:14 pm

philpill wrote:my LMS not sure who that is

Local Model Shop c.f. Local Bike Shop for an honest MOT and cup of tea whilst you chat.

HTH
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

philpill

Postby philpill » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:22 am

got a black and white on ebay ex hong kong thanks for all advice :D

philpill

Postby philpill » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:28 pm

just received a white tamiya marker but the tip is quite large although it is chisel shaped ,flooded the area when i used it where have i gone wrong

Return to “Wagons”