Dapol Freightliner HIA Wagons - how to convert to P4

CaptainTony

Dapol Freightliner HIA Wagons - how to convert to P4

Postby CaptainTony » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:43 pm

These new wagons are being well received. Indeed they are very nice with a heavy chassis and will run well. But no-one mentions the Y25 bogies. They look nice but are impossible to convert as they stand. My other Dapol wagons have been very easy - just swap the wheels and they work perfectly in P4. But these are 24.5mm axles. And to accommodate them, in seems that the bogie width is 2mm too narrow. So I can't put in 26mm axles. How can I convert? Any suggestions? There is a Colin Craig Y25 rigid bogie frame and I think this might be the start - cut off the Dapol plastic bogie frames and glue them to the Colin Craig brass frame. Will this work in P4? I have a rake of 18 - so that's 36 bogies! Just another project that I hoped would be simple!
Y25 bogies are 1800mm between axles. I have used Bill Bedford L&Y bogie frames on other modern wagons very successfully but these are 6'6" and are therefore too wide.
Tony

Terry Bendall

Re: Dapol Freightliner HIA Wagons - how to convert to P4

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:44 am

I have not done this job but I would have thought that the Colin Craig bogie centres would be a good starting point. Colin also does a range of spring bogie centres which are very nice. I built his Gloucester Mk IV one for review purposes and it went together very well. However the axle centres of the sprung ones may not be correct for what you need. Full details on his web site.

Terry Bendall

Noel

Postby Noel » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:59 am

Cambrian do a number of rigid plastic bogies designed for 26mm axles, including Y25.

http://cambrianmodels.co.uk/4mmbogies.html
Regards
Noel

CaptainTony

Postby CaptainTony » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:15 pm

Thanks to you both but here is the problem. I have used Colin Craig Gloucester sprung bogies on other wagons. indeed they are great. Unfortunately he has not increased his range. The Gloucester's are 2000mm centres - as are most on the market.
I use Cambrian for their plastic sideframes. Their rigid frames are not good enough for my standard of P4 running. Springing, compemsating or flexibility of plastic is needed. Very little is 1800mm centre. The Dapol Y25 bogie is good so will do for the sideframe. It's the insides of the bogie that needs to be addressed. There is very little on the market now that is 1800mm (or 6ft) wheel centres.
At the moment it looks like Colin Craig fixed frames and I'll have to introduce a degree of compensation.
The right solution is a sprung 6ft or 1800mm bogie.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:48 pm

CaptainTony wrote:Their rigid frames are not good enough for my standard of P4 running. Springing, compemsating or flexibility of plastic is needed. Very little is 1800mm centre.

How bad is your track that you need compensation on a 26 mm bogie? Desirable perhaps but needed, definitely not.

Jim

Terry Bendall

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:03 am

CaptainTony wrote:Unfortunately he has not increased his range.

One solution would be to contact Colin to see what he has in the pipeline in the way of 1800mm axle centre bogies. Colin has lots of things that he does so progress is not that quick but you never know. He might even be prepared to do something special for you. I have always found him a very amenable person so he may be prepared to help. Another possibility might be to see if the 2000mm centre bogie can be cut down.

A further solution is to find someone who will produce the bogies that you need using 3D printing which should give some flexibility. I was shown some produced this way a couple of years ago - not sure of the type however, and they were very nice and only needed bearings fitted.

Like Jim I tend to use the simplest solution and have found that rigid bogies will stay on the track perfectly well but in the end its your railway etc.

Terry Bendall

Return to “Wagons”