GWR Dia 013 Clay Open

Jeremy Good

GWR Dia 013 Clay Open

Postby Jeremy Good » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:41 pm

I'm in the process of completing a batch of these from a mixture of the Ian Kirk and Parkside Dundas kits.

The main sources confirm that the wagons were built with DC II brake gear with the levers at the non-opening end. After 1939 they were slowly converted to a more traditional brake system with standard lever from the central V hanger. It appears that these were largely completed as independent either side brakes with a Gloucester style large V hanger on the outside of the subframe. Some may also have received 4 shoe Morton brakes but possibly only in the second half of the 1950s. This all leads to two questions:

Is anyone aware of any good photos of the underside of a similar wagon fitted with DCII brake gear? and,

when the wagons were later converted to independent brakes would they have retained the same inside V hanger and brake pull rods etc as used in the DC gear?

I've managed to track down one or two photos of preserved wagons and all bar one have independent brakes, and the one that has DC seems to have been retro-refitted with DC, so any pointers to other images would be really helpful.

Jeremy

Noel

Re: GWR Dia 013 Clay Open

Postby Noel » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:50 am

Not with DC brake gear, but 'GWR Freight Wagons & Their Loads', J H Russell figs 27-29 shows W94004 (in 1950, as recently reconditioned, according to the caption, but showing signs of some use since) and W94071 (between 9/1952 and 9/1953 according to the wagon sheet) with either side brakes. In both cases the external V hangers have straight arms, i.e. angled, not vertical, where they are attached to the solebar, apparently to match the inside ones. Also the brake push rods have unequal inclinations, with the LH one almost horizontal. This suggests reuse of previous fittings. W94004, incidentally, does not have a sheet bar, whereas W94071 does. W94071 is in grey with black u/frame, with the wood of the body unpainted, W94004 appears to be in dark grey for both body and u/frame.

Figs 18/19 show a wood u/frame, zinc floored, ex-PO version, P270732, in 1952.

Noel
Noel

Jeremy Good

Postby Jeremy Good » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:07 pm

Noel

Thanks - that's helpful. It looks as though the reconditioned ones used a straight V hangar similar to the Gloucester type on the outside.
I need to track down a copy of Russell as it seems to have a lot of answers - not just to this but other wagon queries!

I'd still like to find a decent view of one with DCII brake gear though!

Jeremy

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:12 pm

There's an excellent picture of O13 no. 92971 at p.23 of Russell's 'Great Western Wagons Appendix'. I think this is DC II braked, but since I find the differences between the various species of Dean Churchward brakes a bit mind boggling, I may be completely wrong.

<edited to add> I'm quite confident the picture is of a DC-braked wagon; it's the particular variant of which I am unsure. Appears to have one ratchet/lever at opposite end to the door - possibly to avoid the works becoming gummed up by clay discharge, as Tourret suggests. Since DC II was single ended and these vehicles were originally built with this variant of the brake, I assume this is what is shown in the photograph.

Jeremy Good

Postby Jeremy Good » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:24 pm

John

Thanks - I'll investigate that one as well. I don't have a copy but I know a man who does!

Jeremy

Jeremy Good

Postby Jeremy Good » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:32 pm

Thanks all. Have made some progress and found some further information particularly in Brian Morgan's Chassis Instructions in the downloads section of the website.

Photos of the progress to date on my workbench thread.

Jeremy

Return to “Wagons”