Fitting 3 links to Bachmann 16T Wagons

John Donnelly

Fitting 3 links to Bachmann 16T Wagons

Postby John Donnelly » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:00 pm

I'm looking to fit 3 links to some Bachmann 16T wagons but, the existing weight is in the way of the coupling hooks and the weight appears to be so well glued in that any attempt to remove it, looks like it is highly likely to snap the chassis. I could just cut the hooks short and super glue them in but I'm concerned that such a fixing would fail on a longer train of wagons...

Has anyone successfully removed the wight without damaging the chassis?

John

Philip Hall

Re: Fitting 3 links to Bachmann 16T Wagons

Postby Philip Hall » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:32 am

I usually just lever it out whereupon the glue joint fails. Maybe they're using extra strength superglue now! You could try using Deluxe Materials Glue Buster with which I have had some success on Hornby superglue recently, but beware of using too much of it because it will soften plastic. RTR wagons are too light, so If I can't get the weight out to replace with sheet lead or I want an empty wagon, I put a thin sheet of lead inside and train myself not to notice that the floor is a little too high.

On a Bachmann wagon I usually bend the hook over behind the buffer beam and put a dollop of Plastic Padding Super Steel epoxy there to stop it coming out again. If it's a solid chassis where the bottom of the buffer beam is flush with the bottom of the chassis moulding, I drill a 2 - 3mm hole behind the beam, poke the hook through and put a bend in it, then add the epoxy as before.

Philip

stevecarr

Postby stevecarr » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:18 am

I've used sheet lead in wagons as a dummy floor since I don't know when but kept very quiet about it because it didn't seem in the 'finescale' ethos!
I feel better now!
I could never figure out how some chaps managed to cram 40gms in the limited space underneath a wagon so, realising my limitations, I went for the easy option of scribing a rectangle of flashing to, hopefully, look like boarding and drop it home with a blob of Araldite. Voila!
Nobody seemed to notice - or have they been too polite?9

John Donnelly

Postby John Donnelly » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:30 am

Thanks gents, Philip, I'd not heard of Glue Buster so I'll give that a try.

John

Terry Bendall

Postby Terry Bendall » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:52 am

I usually follow the same route as Philip and bend the hook over and fix with standard super glue. On locos where space is sometimes tighter I have cut the hook short and fixed with super glue again with no problems, even with a long train.

Terry Bendall

jon price

Postby jon price » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:56 am

The characteristics of superglue mean that if you want to peel two metal surfaces apart (ie the stress is at right angles to the joined surface), it is relatively easy, but if you want to pull a peg out of a socket (ie the stress is parallel to the joined surfaces) it is an extremely strong bond which is difficult to break.

Noel

Postby Noel » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:53 am

Given Bachmann's propensity for inaccuracies with their chassis*, I commonly discard them and replace them with one from Parkside parts, which also means there is more room for ballast underneath and less problems fitting 3-links.

* The favourites are Morton brake on a wagon which should have either-side brakes, and brake shoes the wrong way round, [The first pictures I have seen of the initial design of the new anchor mounted tank seems to show a chassis with brake gear which is mechanically impossible.] Additionally, in some cases the brake shoes foul P4 wheels and require major surgery to move them outwards.

Noel
Regards
Noel

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:47 pm

I have some of these Bachman wagons in my long goods, and I don't remember any problems with fitting 3 link couplings, usually Mike Clarke's.

I also put in weight as per Steve's suggestion, but don't tell anyone.
Tim V

Return to “Wagons”