Postby jim s-w » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:30 pm

Found this and thought it quite interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afvGStYT ... ata_player

Cheers

Jim

John Palmer

Re: Film of a transformer wagon

Postby John Palmer » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:07 am

Thank you, Jim, that is some of the best quality Youtube railway footage I have yet seen.

I should be interested to discover the identity of the leading brake composite - six full-width compartments plus two lavs; how did they pack that in?!

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:01 am

John Palmer wrote:I should be interested to discover the identity of the leading brake composite - six full-width compartments plus two lavs; how did they pack that in?!

That coach is a LMS BCK diagram 1755. Since there was a corridor the seat were not full-width.
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa.biz

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:30 pm

What struck me was how the local children were allowed to be sitting around looking at the free spectacle, quite close to the work. That would never happen today, they'd be kept behind a steel fence!

Philip

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:41 am

billbedford wrote:
John Palmer wrote:I should be interested to discover the identity of the leading brake composite - six full-width compartments plus two lavs; how did they pack that in?!

That coach is a LMS BCK diagram 1755. Since there was a corridor the seat were not full-width.

Thank you, Bill. That makes sense, looking at the plans in 'LMS Coaches'. When referring to full width, I intended to indicate that it had not been necessary to incorporate a coupe compartment into the design but didn't express myself clearly - I did realise that this was a side corridor vehicle.

Is it the case, then, that only the D1704/1704A BCK's were re-panelled in steel and that the D1754/1755 BCK's retained their wood panelling? The commentary in 'LMS Coaches' suggests that all the Period I Brake Composites were so converted, but the authors may have intended this remark to relate only to the later pair of diagrams.

John Maclean

Postby John Maclean » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:54 am

A fascinating film. Very good quality. I also noticed the different health and safety standards.

I spent another enjoyable hour or so watching other BTF films. I found myself wondering what market this type of film was aimed at. Were they "shorts" to be shown at the cinema?

Cheers,

John.

shipbadger

Postby shipbadger » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:35 am

Three decades or so ago I helped run a 'Railway Club' in the school where I worked. We showed a great many of these short films from not just BTF but companies like BICC who had films about the west coast electrification, and embassies (South African Blue Train). Before the internet and multi-channel TV I think these were seen as a way of raising awareness of either a companies activities or in the case of BTF promoting the activity of nationalised industries to the populace who 'owned' them. In the film we are considering all the transport seen was of course nationalised, Pickfords being a sub-division of British Road Services. Looking at the boxes the reels of film were sent in many had been all over the country presumably to be shown in schools, colleges and village halls. The late Bob Symes was involved in making a film of the Swansea and Mumbles Railway whilst in his early days at the BBC.

Tony Comber

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:57 am

An excellent find Jim.

It was an interesting comparison to working practices then and now. Not a hard hat in sight, except one at the very end.
John

mikeknowles

Postby mikeknowles » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:22 pm

The top of the transformer looks to have been specially shaped to fit under the various arched bridges, similar to the way the tops East Yorkshire Motor Services double decker buses used to be shaped to fit under North Bar at Beverley.

Return to “Wagons”