White metal wagons

John Lewis

White metal wagons

Postby John Lewis » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:44 pm

I have been given a rather nice white metal model of an ex-SECR covered goods wagon with outside framing.

The only trouble is that it has been given OO gauge wheels.

What would be the best way to fit a floor, so that I can fit W iron units to it - the inside is very nearly smooth?

John Lewis

David B

Re: White metal wagons

Postby David B » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:54 pm

Turn the wagon upside down and fix some scrap white metal to the inside of the wagon to form a ledge for the new floor to sit on. You will have to work out the positioning to give you the right buffer height. Cut a floor, I suggest from brass, and with the wagon upside down, drop it in so that it rests on the new ledge and fix in place.

If you are soldering, you can use 100o solder (from C&L) to fix the brass directly to the white metal.

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:59 am

What David said ... but if I were to do it exactly that way I would inevitably (a) get the ledge too low so that the buffer height came out to high and (b) end up with the floor very slightly skew so that the vehicle didn't sit level. If I was on a particularly day, I might manage to warp the floor so that the van couldn't put all four wheels on the track. :(

I suggest putting the floor significantly - say 1mm or more - higher than the anticipated top of the W irons and then packing accordingly. If you pack separately under each axleguard, you can tweak it to be absolutely level and spot-on for height.

BTW: which kit is it? The old K's kit?

Cheers,
Guy

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:57 pm

Can you just pop some wheels in and see if it works before you do anything else john?

Cheers

Jim

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:14 pm

I agree with Jim, just put some wheels in and see how it runs. I have a couple of open wagons from the late Chris Kedgley's collection, fitted in this case with brass bearings in the whitemetal w-irons and EM wheels. I simply bent the w-irons outwards a bit, swapped the wheels and pushed them back again. I did also put the wagons on a sheet of plate glass to make sure they didn't rock; one did, a bit, so I just carefully twisted the body until all was true. The weight (and a bit of slop in the bearings) keeps the wheels on the track.

If there is no floor at all, I would just cut one to be a snug fit inside the sides and adjust it until it's an even height all around, and then run a drop of superglue into the joints at intervals.

Philip

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:56 pm

Thank you all for your ideas.

As it was the simplest, I removed one of wheelsets, whereupon one of the white metal W irons broke.

So I guess it is back to fitting two of Mr Bedford's springing units and a floor.

I do not know whose kit it was - it is blank.

John

David B

Postby David B » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:25 am

Cut a floor and attach the sprung units, then cut a small block of foam as well that will fit inside of the van. You can then rest the van on the floor and wheels, gently press down until you get the buffer height right and make marks to help you position the floor.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:24 pm

Hi john

I've done several ballast wagons that dont have a floor and I've just used the w-irons seperated. If you can solder the w-irons to the sideframes I wouldn't worry about a floor.

Just an option

Jim

chris_mccarthy

Postby chris_mccarthy » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:37 pm

I seem to recall it is a K's kit from way back. I have several made up.

Note that they tended to have 3ft (ie 12mm in our terms) Mansell wooden centred wheels rather than spoked or other disc type. I don't know if some got spoked sets in later years

They seemed to last quite a long time and I have seen photos in BR days still with the original wheels. Presumably they were on their last legs in departmental service or similar.

Chris McCarthy
Chris McCarthy

williambarter

Postby williambarter » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:31 am

When fitting the MJT rocking unit (which has inside bearings) I have fitted the floor to be just too high, then positioned the rocking unit by fitting an axle between the fixed W-irons, with the rocking unit and its baseplate suspended from it. A good splodge of expoxy between the baseplate and the floor then retains this relationship permamanently.

William

newport_rod

Postby newport_rod » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:40 pm

You could try the length-of-springy-wire-lightly-bearing-down-on-the-axles-method proposed by Ray Hammond in MRJ 155, p311.

Return to “Wagons”