cambrian wagons

chris58

cambrian wagons

Postby chris58 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:07 pm

Evening all
what sort of experiences have any of you had when building Cambrian kits? I am particularly interested in their modern air braked stock.
Regards
Chris Dales

Brinkly

Re: cambrian wagons

Postby Brinkly » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:27 pm

chris58 wrote:Evening all
what sort of experiences have any of you had when building Cambrian kits? I am particularly interested in their modern air braked stock.
Regards
Chris Dales

Hi Chris,

I've built quite a few new LMS vans from the Cambrian range. The bodies aren't bad, although I have found that the corners need a bit of filing to get a decent join. The buffers I reject completely and replace with cast products from Lanarkshire Models & Supplies and I also look quite closely at the solebars, as some are a bit poor - not quite up to Parkside's more modern offerings.

Otherwise though I think they are quite good for the price. They do need a bit of tweaking and upgrading, but they aren't bad. My advice would be get one and see what you think. :thumb

Kind regards,

Nick.

Penrhos1920

Postby Penrhos1920 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:01 pm

Depends. The more recent kits are much better. The older kits are worth avoiding unless you really can't. Some of the older kits have been updated.

Tor Giffard

Postby Tor Giffard » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:11 pm

Hi Chris,

My experience of kits generally is that I need to purchase at least one in order to start the cycle of build and modify/improve otherwise I may never have particular wagon types available to me. There is no such thing as bad experience....just expect to incorporate more scratchbuilt or else seperately purchased detailing parts as you progress.

A good example of mine is the 51L ex ironstone hopper kit in etched brass/resin where 50% of the components in several kits that I built were replaced by scratchbuilt or else seperately purchased detailing parts.

Dave
Last edited by Tor Giffard on Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:15 pm

Yes built lots. Is there any in particular you are thinking of?

Cheers

Jim

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:38 pm

I've done two recently: one of their Cambrian Railways 2-plank, drop-side open and one of the Hurst Nelson PO wagons.

The 2-plank open went together OK, but the solebars are too close together to admit the axleguards I was using; much carving was required to get clearance. The brake-gear mouldings are quite good on this kit and I was tempted to keep them, but opted in the end to replace with brass parts.

The PO wagon gave more problems. I let the floor moulding define the distance between the ends, and it came out slightly shorter than the sides. The floor also seems slightly too narrow and I needed to pad out with microstrip. Alerting the corner mitres to fit was a faff (the 2-plank drop-side has no mitres, of course: yea!); I did it badly and ended up with the sides bowed in. I may be able to rescue this one (brace out the sides and warm very gently with a hair-drier) but it's iffy. This kit also has the unusual design of ends moulded separately from the headstocks. This makes it harder to join the ends and floor accurately - the floor has location pips underneath, so one can't just lay the floor on a flat surface to line up with the ends. When I do the next of these, the location pips are coming off first. The axleboxes and spring mouldings are naff and will be replaced, as will the brake gear...

...which will have to be at least partly scratch build. I'm building my two "PO" wagons to represent the coal wagons ordered by the SECR and those need "Hill's patent either-side break gear".

Terry Bendall

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:17 am

I have built quite a lot of Cambrian kits mainly of prototypes that are air braked but some older ones with duel brakes, vacuum brakes or unfitted. They are generally perfectly adequate but some go together better than others. As has been mentioned buffers often need replacing with something better and some small details, such as door bangers and hand rails that have been moulded in plastic are better if they are replaced with etched brass items or bits made from scrap brass. In some instances the accuracy has to be watched with some kits for example having incorrect bogies, axleboxes or buffers. One some kits, such as the various steel carrying wagons, the undeframe trussing is rather fragile and recently I have started to reinforce this with strips of brass glued on the insides where it cannot be seen in normal use.

There have been reviews of some of these kits and how to build them in Rail Express magazine in the last few years. In the end you get what you pay for, and there is scope for improvment, depending on how much time and effort you are prepared to put in, and the standard that you want to achieve.

Terry Bendall

Noel

Postby Noel » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:40 pm

I agree with Penrhos1920. The older, low numbered, kits were not designed by the current owner/designer, I understand, and some are decidedly poor, with planking on sides and ends not lining up properly, for example. Later ones are much better.

Noel
Regards
Noel

chris58

Postby chris58 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:04 pm

Hi all
wow thanks for your help and advice. It seems that the best way is give it a go as it appears that quality can be a bit variable.
Off to ST NEOTS MRC now so good evening to you all.
Regards
Chris

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:39 pm

I'm no expert but my wagon building log shows quite a few Cambrian kits built and in areas improved. Maybe my thread could help you decide.

I need to buy correct brake gear but always find it overly confusing finding / knowing what to buy for what wagon so I never bother. So far at least.
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” Thomas Paine

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/sparksho ... eationsscc
Mostly offering Loco kits & bits in 4mm.
SCC Photon Resin Prints Price list
download/file.php?id=19320

Return to “Wagons”