Alan Gibson Wagon wheels

Brinkly

Alan Gibson Wagon wheels

Postby Brinkly » Sun May 04, 2014 10:41 pm

Hi gents,

Another general question and any tips would be really helpful.

I've been building wagons over the weekend and found a box with a number of Alan Gibson wagon wheels. I checked the back to back, using my Exactoscale gauge, popped them into the Masokits W-Irons and a 'wobble' can be seen - the wagon bounces up and down. When I swapped them for a set of Ultrascale wheels, guess what, the wobble has gone.

So is there anything I can do to stop it and does anyone have any tips for using/preparing Alan Gibson wagon wheels (3-disk)? With Ultrascale wheels costing nearly £4.00 an axle, I simply can't afford to use them in large numbers as £8.00 just for wheels is too much for my purse. :( (I'm using Masokits sprung W-Irons, with either Exactoscale or 51l waisted bearings.

Kind regards,

Nick.

jim s-w

Re: Alan Gibson Wagon wheels

Postby jim s-w » Mon May 05, 2014 7:13 am

How old are they Nick? Are they the grey inserts or the black ones? The grey ones of old were sometimes quite iffy but all the recent ones I've had (several hundred pounds worth) have all been fine.

If they are recent, ask for them to be swapped.

Cheers

Jim

beachboy

Postby beachboy » Mon May 05, 2014 7:48 am

Remove wheels if nec'y, and skim the plastic rears so flush with metal rims. Thus assembled wheel fits BB Gauge; & sometimes can cure wobble.
The bolt detail on the Mansell looks better than some makes. Although the wood segments require scoring on, they were sometimes covered with pitch - so can be correct.
Also think the shape of the split spoked wheel sections, looks like most of the real world versions.

Steve.

Brinkly

Postby Brinkly » Mon May 05, 2014 9:55 am

Hi Jim,

Thanks there are 1year or so, not ancient. And until yesterday hadn't been removed from their bag.

Kind regards,

Nick.

(edit for spelling! Predictive text working faster then my brain!)
Last edited by Brinkly on Mon May 05, 2014 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon May 05, 2014 10:06 am

Look at the economics in another way.

Rejection rate.

A box of 100 AG wheels may elicit 30 good ones.

A box of 30 Ultrascale wheels should produce 30 good ones. Work out the maths yourself!

By the way the Exactoscale BtoB may not be the right tool to use, you should be measuring between the flanges not the plastic hub. You should not be using the slot to put the axle in.
Tim V

Will L

Postby Will L » Mon May 05, 2014 10:18 am

Brinkly wrote:..I checked the back to back, using my Exactoscale gauge, popped them into the Masokits W-Irons and a 'wobble' can be seen - the wagon bounces up and down. When I swapped them for a set of Ultrascale wheels, guess what, the wobble has gone.

Wheels can wobble in two directions, side to side (i.e. the wheels isn't strait on the axle) and up and own (i.e. the axle isn't central in the wheel). Side to side wobble does happen occasionally and can often be fettled out. Eccentric ones are more difficult to do anything about and may well need return to the manufacture, as to be seriously eccentric either the moulded centre or the axle is faulty beyond fixing.

So is there anything I can do to stop it and does anyone have any tips for using/preparing Alan Gibson wagon wheels ...

Gibson wheels can suffer from the moulded centre having a moulding pip on the rim. Mostly this means that the rim doesn't go on entirely strait and leads to side to side wobble, but I suppose could lead to a slight eccentricity too. In any event, you can pop the tyre off, clean of the pip with a sharp knife and reassemble. Glue not usually necessary.

It is always worth checking for wobble before fitting. All you need to do is hold the pinpoint between the fingers and spin the wheel. Some would suggest that you fettle all of them, but personally I think it better to leave those that don't wobble (the vast majority) alone.

Will L

Postby Will L » Mon May 05, 2014 10:31 am

Tim V wrote: A box of 100 AG wheels may elicit 30 good ones...

While we all know that the Ultrascale wheels are less likely to give problems, experience suggests that a claiming a 70% reject rate for Gibson wheels is indulging in exaggeration.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon May 05, 2014 10:44 am

70% was off the top of my head!

I was merely trying to get Nick to look at the economics in a different way. AG wheels from the stores are £2.85. You don't have to reject that many to start thinking that Ultrascales aren't that expensive.

By the way I don't have any! I do have boxes full of reject wheels though.

I sometimes see boxes of wheels on Bring and Buys. Unless you are prepared to put lots of work in, as Will suggests, walk past those boxes.
Tim V

Brinkly

Postby Brinkly » Mon May 05, 2014 11:00 am

Hi gents,

Thanks for your replies. Following on from Steve's post I've gone through the wheels again, removing the pips on the rear of the wheels. I checked again in the Exactoscale back-to-back gauge and the little brass C&L gauge and now all bar two of the 14 wheels seem to be running smoothing, at high speed without issues. However, I need to check them through point work, so only time will tell.

Thanks for all your advice. Gents and please feel free to add to the thread, but I might not reply as I'm modelling today! :D

Kind regards,

Nick.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Mon May 05, 2014 12:26 pm

Tim V wrote:70% was off the top of my head!

I was merely trying to get Nick to look at the economics in a different way. AG wheels from the stores are £2.85. You don't have to reject that many to start thinking that Ultrascales aren't that expensive.

By the way I don't have any! I do have boxes full of reject wheels though.

I sometimes see boxes of wheels on Bring and Buys. Unless you are prepared to put lots of work in, as Will suggests, walk past those boxes.

You should get the reject replaced under basic consumer rights. There's no argument what so ever that ultrascales can be cost effective.

Jim

Return to “Wagons”