NER 20t hopper

DougN

NER 20t hopper

Postby DougN » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:26 am

Hello all. I have been thinking about some thing for my Q6 to drag around. I would like to build the slaters P4 timber hoppers but I am one for springing the wagons (along with sprung buffers) so I was looking at purchasing about 10 of the kits. Now the bit of information that I need is what is is the etch that can be purchased from cooper craft? The other is this different to the old etch that C&L once did? Which had the second pair of w irons on the outside of the sole bars. I guess that the bill Bedford springing units would be best but I was wondering what have other people used on these wagons.

For variety I will also get a could on the David geen hoppers to put in the train! I already have one of those built but I do need to do some refurbishment on it to get it closer to what I want!

Thanks
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

RedDragon

Re: NER 20t hopper

Postby RedDragon » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:27 pm

Doug,

I purchased a number of these etches from Cooper-craft at the Nottingham show earlier this year. They came in Slaters packaging numbered 4045.
The etches included do provide the external W Irons as well as an etch for the style of brake gear where the brake lever goes across the end of the wagon and turns thru 90 degrees to the V irons as opposed to the solebar mounted brake levers. With Paul Dunns recent reported issues with Slaters I am not sure if the NER hoppers are currently available and the vailability of the brake/w iron etches has always been sporadic in my experience when I have been after more.
Have you also considered the whitemetal version of this hopper wagon available from Adrian Swain (ABS Models). I have a number of these and they go together well, I intend to purchase more of them at Expo EM asuming ABS are attending as usual.

Hope this helps.

Steve Tooley

DougN

Postby DougN » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:29 am

Thanks Steve,

I have just checked the website and note the message to contact but not to pay until they are confirmed available. As I am over seas, they say to put the order through and then wait for the quote on the postage. I have gone looking for the ABS but I note they are not on the web (well UK model shops don't list one nor does one come up in a google search) Do you know what the cost is for the white metal versions?
Doug

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:13 am

Doug,

Adrian Swain doesn't do the internet, but can be contacted at;

ABS
39 Napier Road
Poole, Dorset
BH15 4LX
Telephone: 01202 672891

The message on the home page of Coopercraft re production difficulties has been there for some time. From what else I have heard, I think it is probable that it could be be some time before you can get what you want.

Jol

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:36 am

I have subsequently found the following email address for ABS;

info@keykits.net

That link was on the photo of Adrian behind his stand in the 2012 Scaleforum retrospective, although it isn't shown on the latest update on the UK Model Shop Directory.

Jol

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:33 pm

The Slaters kits are for 20-ton hoppers, so will presumably be diagram P7 or higher. Diagram P4 wagons were 10.5 ton hoppers. So are the ABS kits actually for diagram P4?

RedDragon

Postby RedDragon » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:57 pm

The ABS wagons are also Dia P7 of 20T capacity. Wizard Models also still make the old D&S kit for the NER Dia P5 10T hopper wagon so a nice varied train of NER hopper wagons can be produced if you include the Geen P4 variant.

Steve T

DougN

Postby DougN » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:47 am

Thanks Steve,

I have a couple of the hoppers from David Geen. It is interesting that Wizard has the old D&S range. I guess from the above I will have to look in to the various versions.

Wizard- P5 10tonne(NER)
Geen - P4 10tonne (NER)
ABS- P7 20tonne (NER)
Slaters - P7 20tonne (NER)
Geen Dia 72 12tonne (LNER)
Geen Dia 137 13tonne (LNER)

Just going through and I have found that Wizard also have a brake detail etch (ex D&S) on LS004

From all of the above there is quite a list of various hoppers.The next hard thing is to find what is the best way to spring them all. Is it Bill Bedfords (spill chucker tried to change that to bell bed ford :x ) spring units. I did have some trouble when I last built the Dia 72.But the next batch I would like to do will have springing to buffers and the W irons (things just seem to run more nicely) along with Alex Jackson couplings! That is quite a list so I wonder how long they will take me... then have to find a nice brake van (Bill Bedfords NER brakes look nice in brass) :) .
Doug

RedDragon

Postby RedDragon » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:18 pm

Doug,

The Wizard LS004 etch contains some nice etched NER cast iron style signs, I have tried to find the etches I have, but seem to recall the brake gear is of the standard configuration not the style on the Slaters/ Cooper-craft etch.

Bill Bedford does make 3 styles of Brake Van, some while back I purchased the 6 wheel (Topcote? - in NER parlance I believe) van. This had the option of sprung buffers and sprung w-irons a very nice kit. I believe that Dan Pinnock (D&S) still does the occcasional batch of the NER V4 style vans as well and that has compensated w-irons.

Steve T

Return to “Wagons”