Bachmann BR 16 Ton mineral wagons

Ian_Holmes

Bachmann BR 16 Ton mineral wagons

Postby Ian_Holmes » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:30 pm

All;
I was looking through some of the OO gauge stock that I have accumulated over the years working towards other projects and I have a three pack of these. I wondered if anyone has tried any methods of converting these to run on P4 track?

Ian

David Knight

Re: Bachmann BR 16 Ton mineral wagons

Postby David Knight » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:21 pm

Ian,

Depending how much trouble you want to go to the quick and dirty route can be found here <http://www.clag.org.uk/rewheelingwagons.html> a simple swap of wheels which, if your track is in good nick and your back to back is accurate, works. Anything beyond that involves the removal of at least a part of the underframe to accommodate either rocking or spring units. In all cases the brake gear has to be re-aligned to match the wheels. There was an article on Bachmann conversions in MRJ a while back but the exact issue number escapes my memory at the moment.

HTH

David

Flymo748
Forum Team

Postby Flymo748 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:45 am

davknigh wrote:Ian,

There was an article on Bachmann conversions in MRJ a while back but the exact issue number escapes my memory at the moment.
David

Matt Ots is your friend :-)

http://www.modelrailwayjournal.com

Issues 130 and 131. I've got work to do now, so can't dig through the library now to see exactly what's covered, but may get chance later if you need details.

Cheers
P.
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Ian_Holmes

Postby Ian_Holmes » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:43 am

Flymo748 wrote:Matt Ots is your friend :-)

http://www.modelrailwayjournal.com

Issues 130 and 131. I've got work to do now, so can't dig through the library now to see exactly what's covered, but may get chance later if you need details.

Cheers
P.

Super thanks very much

Ian

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:49 pm

About 70% of the wagons seen here are just basic wheelsetswaps, a few Bachmann, the others Airfix kits.

My method is to first try a wheelset swap, with Bachmann you just have to pare off a strengthening rib on the inside of the W-iron to clear the wheelset, if it runs OK then its just a coupling replacement and whatever you feel you need do to the brakes.

For the odd one that misbehaves there are two main options, either the axles are to tight and one or both have no slop, or the axles have excess slop or are not parallel. For the former case you can gently deepen the bearing holes with one of Micro-Marks gadgets (very gently) and try again. In the latter case treat this as an opportunity to try one of Bill Bedford's sprung chassis, designed for just this purpose. However beware you may get hooked on them.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:33 pm

Straight wheel swap works well, but make sure the wheels are good ones, no wobbles or eccentricity.

Being moulded plastic, they are probably more square than anything you could make, despite the jigs etc, I still think that getting things square is very difficult.
Tim V
Scalefour News Editor

Ashley

Postby Ashley » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:47 pm

Probably breaking the forum rules now by posting this link to my RMweb workbench thread, but it is easier than repeating everything on there, here. Anyway, if you follow the link you will see a wagon with Bill Bedford replacement chassis, which is most excellent.

http://tinyurl.com/4bkm9w

I've been rather taken by the shiny brass etches that Bill does, and can highly recommend them.
Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from poor judgment.

http://www.clag.org.uk/

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:12 pm

No rules against linking to RMweb or anywhere else relevant, we have a general link to RMweb in the page header after all.
We appreciate that posting P4 work on RMweb is good publicity. Mind you we would also like to see some of the converse happening, post here and put the link on RMweb to help draw people in.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:03 pm

Hi
The link Ashley put in does not work, I get directed to TinyURl.com - which ZoneAlarm really does not like - and get no further. Wish it did as I'd like to see what Mr Bedford has been up to...

regards

Mike

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:17 pm

Try this, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14707&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=50#p330030
Regards
Keith
PS. RM web has been revamped since this link was made and the old version has its search crippled. There is a 16T mineral thread on the new RMweb but not as helpful.
Keith
Last edited by grovenor-2685 on Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link no longer works. - KN
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:01 pm

Thank you Keith, very worth while.

Cracking stuff from Ashley and Bill Bedford...perhaps some of the 16T min etches could arrive at NMRS? I should like to ask Ashley, what is the ride of these converted wagons like, do they need additional ballast/weight to make them 'work' properly?

regards

Mike

Ashley

Postby Ashley » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:02 pm

Well that is a good question, and the answer all depends on what you want!

Technically, all my sprung wagons are my best runners just as built, with no added weight, but I only have a few, and I have not yet run a train to see if they stringline?

So, my recommendation is to add some weight to them, and I can only suggest that if you keep all your wagons at around the same weight, they will all run together. People will no doubt chip in with their ideas, which is all well and good. My assumptions, based on NMRA recommended practice, which served me well when I worked in H0 is as follows:

NMRA: (1 oz + 1/2 oz per inch) versus traditional 25g per axle.

1 long ton = 2240lbs = 35840oz
NB: (1:76c3 = 442,451)
1ton = 1018.18kg = 1,018,181g
1ton = 0.081oz = 2.3g
22tons = 50g

60mm PO wagon = 43g
65mm RCH wagon = 46g
70mm RCH wagon = 50g
85mm coal wagon = 61g

95mm brake van = 68

140mm Macaw H = 100g

145mm CCT or bogie brake van =104g

170mm Borail = 121g
175mm Crocodile = 125g

200mm parcels van = 143g

255mm 59' coach = 168g
255mm 64' coach = 182g

As always, terms and conditions apply. I hope that helps?
Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from poor judgment.

http://www.clag.org.uk/

Flymo748
Forum Team

Postby Flymo748 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:09 pm

A while ago, I wrote:
Flymo748 wrote:
davknigh wrote:Ian,
There was an article on Bachmann conversions in MRJ a while back but the exact issue number escapes my memory at the moment.
David

MRJ 130:
Bachmann BR 16 ton mineral wagons
Bachmann 7-plank PO wagon

MRJ 131:
Bachmann GWR 12 ton van

They don't use the Bill Bedford springing units, which may not have been available in 2001, but the MJT internal bearing type and the Mike Clark Masokits units.

Cheers
P.
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:50 pm

Thanks Ashley, that answers some more queries I was storing up.

regards

Mike

Ian_Holmes

Postby Ian_Holmes » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:04 pm

A simple question turned into a interesting discussion.
As much as I admire the work that Ashley has done. I have to admit that I will be taking the easiest route for the moment. In fact I dropped a pair of Alan Gibsons into one of said wagons yesterday and with a minimal amount of filing at the brake pads and W-irons it seemed to work perfectly

Ian

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:05 pm

Until you try propelling it, you may run into trouble then. I do add a sheet of lead to the floor, improves the road holding.
Tim V
Scalefour News Editor

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:31 pm

Tim V wrote:I do add a sheet of lead to the floor, improves the road holding.

If you're modelling an empty wagon and don't want to lose the depth to the equivilent of the thickness of the sheet of lead, it is possible to remove the plastic floor and substitute the lead, suitably flattened, as the actual floor. This is a bit easier if you're building a Parkside or Airfix kit, of course...
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:28 pm

If you look through the Society archive I wrote an article on converting a Bachmann 16t. Shows that you need to remove a sliver of plastic from behind the axle irons.
Builder of Forge Mill Sidings, Kirkcliffe Coking Plant, Swanage and Heaby. Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

tmcsean

Postby tmcsean » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:03 am

A little delicate work with a minidrill and burr will do the trick. Behind each vertical axlebox guide iron is a sprengthening strut which has to come out to clear the wheel, and you need to chamfer the backs of the brake shoes to clear the tyre surfaces. The photo shows a train of converted Bachmann 16 tonners (+ a couple of Parksides) loaded with real loose coal circulating round Millhouses.

Tony McSean
Attachments
Coal train 19.JPG

Return to “Wagons”