Masokits sprung w-irons.

sammakins

Masokits sprung w-irons.

Postby sammakins » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:36 pm

Hello all,
Can anyone suggest the best technique for soldering the Masokits RCH w-iron steel springs/bearing carriers successfully?
Soldering the bearing in is hard work but trying to get a good fillet to strengthen the fold is an absolute nightmare!
The closest to managing I've got is to use solder paste but I'm not happy with the joints produced.

Thanks for your help and advice,
Sam

grovenor-2685

Re: Masokits sprung w-irons.

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:18 pm

I used the flux Carrs sell for stainless steel, its quite a few years now since I did some* but it seemed to work OK.
*In fact I think I bought said flux from Hubert before Brian Lewis took the range over!
Keith

David B

Postby David B » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:20 pm

To solder the bearing, I use a piece of wood with a hole in it, place the carrier on it with the bearing over the hole so that it sits neatly on the carrier. I put on a single drop of phosphoric acid flux, making sure it goes all the way round between bearing and carrier, then add a very small amount of 145 solder on the end of a pointed bit. I find this both quick and easy. The solder just flows right round the bearing. You hardly need any solder and only a brief touch with the iron. If you are worried about the bearing moving, hold it down with a cocktail stick whilst you solder.

When I fold up the main part, I use an RSU for the fillets. Put flux in the fold, cut a small piece of solder and place in the fold on the flux, then touch the RSU probe on the outside, not on the solder. The solder, once melted, follows the heat, so move the probe along the fold and you get a neat fillet. I imagine this might also work with a clean iron but you will need a larger bit.

I have now made quite a few of these and I can make the whole thing in a few minutes.

David

Will L

Postby Will L » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:55 pm

Alternative for the fillets, using a reasonably big bit (big bit= a big store of heat) put a reasonable blob of solder on the face of the bit and flux down the fold line you want to reinforce, then touch the solder on the iron to the side/end of the fold, it will run into the fold for a distance, how far depends on how big and hot you iron is. This is the easiest way to get the solder in the right place with a soldering iron. Doing both ends may well be enough, but if you really want a fillet all the way along put a fairly big blob into on the ends as described then, with the solder already in the fold, you can now use the tip of the bit to spread the solder further along. File any solder you get on the wrong side off when you've finished.

Will

sammakins

Postby sammakins » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:10 pm

Thanks for the help, I'll try the methods suggested and see which ones work for me. Is carrs brown solder just phosphoric acid or is it something slightly less potent?
Sam

Return to “Wagons”