GWR 6t fruit van

Mike Garwood

GWR 6t fruit van

Postby Mike Garwood » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:01 pm

Hi
In the process of building a GWR fruit van 6t. I'll attach a pdf at the end of this so you can view the beast that I'm desribing. Knowing absolutely osdd all about brake arrangements for these, would someone be kind enough to point out what sort it is and if there's a kit or parts that can be obtained to reproduce it.

thanks - in advance.

Mike

GWR 6T Fruit van.pdf

craig_whilding

Re: GWR 6t fruit van

Postby craig_whilding » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:39 pm

I'd guess its some sort of variant on DC2 Mike as its not the later cross corner DC3. Masokits probably have some individual bits for now if this isn't a Brian Morgan chassis. I've not even looked at any DC bits yet for my modelling.

Russ Elliott

Postby Russ Elliott » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:56 pm

Diagram Y1. Yes it's an 8-shoe (standard 4-yoke) DCII variant with Armstrong vacuum brake. Pre-1930, might also have had Westinghouse gear, making it 'triple-fitted'. The DC handles share the same shaft, hence one is normal right-handed to the right of the step, and the other side is left-handed to the left of the step.

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:09 pm

Thanks Craig..Russ, does this make this van a hybrid? How would you go about modelling the brake gear. I see masokits do something along these lines, is that where you'd start?

Mike

Russ Elliott

Postby Russ Elliott » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:27 pm

Mike - the brake gear is a hybrid in as much as the combination of any DCII or DCIII gear with 8-shoe brakes was something of a rarity, and also in this particular diagram the length of the body precluded a standard (end of vehicle) DCII fitting, but it looks as though standard-shaped DCII brackets have been used to carry the DC handbrake shaft, merely shifted inboard to the position as shown on your diagram. The handbrake shaft axis is very close to the step stanchion. The principle of how the DCII links to the yokes is otherwise standard. Note the V hangar for the vacuum brake shaft is not on the vehicle centreline. It's all a bit of a squeeze.

On a model, the only significant visible features are the shoes and their yokes (plus safety loops), and the DC brackets and their handles. The internal rigging really isn't visible, and besides which is a nightmare.

I thought Bill B did something DCII-ish, but I can't find anything on his lists at the moment. My only encounters so far with such gear has been on the TMD/Perseverance/Geen Y2 and other D&S horse box kits, but Maso sounds a good bet, although I can't advise on specific Maso bits (list available as a series of pdfs). The size of the DCII handbrake brackets looks quite small, and I think some standard DCIII ones might fit the situation just as well if not better. The most difficult bit to source will be the left-handed DCIII handle. The vacuum shaft brackets are standard vees. The vacuum cylinder is Armstrong, and not Dean, so you don't want Dean 'ears'.

Dave K

Postby Dave K » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:35 am

Try Southwark Bridge Models they do an etch for modifying/improving Cooper Craft wagons which includes bits for the 8-shoes full vac system. The only major difference is the position of the DC handel.

doktorstamp

Postby doktorstamp » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:15 am

MRD have some new releases;

http://www.emardee.org.uk/epages/BT2573 ... 125&Page=2

As introductions go this is a fairly basic guide to the braking systems used by the GWR, albeit clasp brakes are not covered.
It may help, and the references should point you in the right direction. HTH

http://www.gwr.org.uk/nowagonbrakes.html

regards

Nigel

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:37 pm

Gentlemen
Thank you for your time and expertise...retires to a dark corner, pondering.

Mike

iak

Postby iak » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:40 pm

dave k wrote:Try Southwark Bridge Models they do an etch for modifying/improving Cooper Craft wagons which includes bits for the 8-shoes full vac system. The only major difference is the position of the DC handel.

Are these etches available yet as I cannot see anything on the web page?
Ta tahnky 8-)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it....

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

Dave K

Postby Dave K » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:21 am

iak wrote:
dave k wrote:Try Southwark Bridge Models they do an etch for modifying/improving Cooper Craft wagons which includes bits for the 8-shoes full vac system. The only major difference is the position of the DC handel.

Are these etches available yet as I cannot see anything on the web page?
Ta tahnky 8-)

Yes, I bought a couple of set from Ivan last week. I suggest you contact him and I'm sure he will assist you.

Return to “Wagons”