LMS Axlebox/spring casting, J hanger type

Lord Colnago

LMS Axlebox/spring casting, J hanger type

Postby Lord Colnago » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:29 pm

I am about to embark on a build of a Connoiseur Models 20t LMS brake van, which will have sprung suspension. I would like to replace the castings for the axlebox/spring, which are nicely cast, but sadly for me, integrally with the w-iron. I have looked at the alternative of using the axlebox/spring from the appropriate Parkside underframe kit and at the offering from 51L. These don't appear to be suitable as these brake vans had a heavier duty spring and, what looks like, a heavier duty axlebox. Before I scratchbuild or attempt to remove all traces of the w-irons from those supplied in the kit, does anyone know if the correct casting is available out there?

Thanks in advance,

John.
The second best priest

jjnewitt

Re: LMS Axlebox/spring casting, J hanger type

Postby jjnewitt » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:18 pm

Hi John,

Comet models do an LMS axlebox spring/J hanger casting ref. C17. They use it in their Stove R kit. I've just dug out my Connoisseur LMS brake van kits and the Comet casting looks the same type to me, though I am no expert. Having looked at the W-Iron castings in the kit it shouldn't be too much hassle to thin them down but perhaps a little time consuming. I've had to do something similar on some David Geen milk tanks that I've sprung. Out of interest who's W-Irons are you using to spring the brake vans? I've got mine to do at some point so I'd be interested in how you get on with this project.

craig_whilding

Postby craig_whilding » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:23 pm

The Comet J hangers are a bit naff as supplied as being in WM they have reinforced the pin between the hangar and the spring making it look slightly different to prototype.

I have got some nice lost was J hangar springs that I think came from 5522 though im not sure if they are correct for the 20t Stanier type.

I have tried etching some springs and brackets that I need to solder together enough sometime for lost-wax casting but its all time as usual :(.

Maybe a batch of 3D printed ones may be possible like Bill's couplings?

Will L

Postby Will L » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:46 pm

Removing all trace of the W irons isn't all that difficult. Cut away any bits than you can easily remove, then rub what's left on wet wet and dry. Will take a few minuets but isn't difficult. Results are remarkably good.

Will

Lord Colnago

Postby Lord Colnago » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:04 pm

Thanks for the replies so far.

Justin, I will in all likelihood use Bill Bedfords springing units, not sure if Masokits do the right type for this vehicle, if they do, I don't have any in stock at present.

Will and Craig, I'll check out Comet and 5522. If I have no joy there, I'll rub the w-irons off the kit's castings, as I said, the axlebox/spring bits do look rather nice.

John.
The second best priest

Return to “Wagons”