BR Conflat L (Shunter's runner)

John McAleely
Web Team

BR Conflat L (Shunter's runner)

Postby John McAleely » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:39 pm

I thought I'd post the results of my modelling today. As you may have noticed elsewhere, I was at one of the now well established CHEAG workshops yesterday, working on what has been an on-again-off-again project for the last year, a Bill Bedford Conflat L.

This is my first complete vehicle in P4 that hasn't involved some RTR items converted, and also was one of my earliest attempts at brass kit assembly.

It came an early cropper, when lack of attention on my part produced a wagon where the sole bars were not in the right place. Despite the cock up, I have to say that my fellow members in CHEAG, and folk on this forum, have been very encouraging. After I'd had a bit more success, the wagon was dismantled and presented to me (using a blowtorch on the poor little wagon was probably ott, but it was fun!) for a second go.

Yesterday I'd got most of the structure complete, and today I've finished off all the soldered details (just some plastic axle boxes to go), and got the wagon rolling.

ConflatL22-1-12.jpg
ConflatL22-1-12.jpg (60.35 KiB) Viewed 2787 times

I'm very pleased with the result. Lurking in the background can be seen its slightly less finished twin, which I used to get some more successful wagon building under my belt.

Next task - learning how to paint a brass kit. Somewhere in my pile of bits-from-over-the-years is an airbrush that's seen almost no use...

DougN

Re: BR Conflat L (Shunter's runner)

Postby DougN » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:24 am

John that looks very nice in the photo.

I have been painting a bit of brass recently and have found the best way to get the paint to stick is to clean the brass down with a prouct like shiny sinks and hot water followed by a rinse in clean water. But the trick at this point is not to touch the brass with your naked hands! Always use rubber gloves. Then prime paint with automotive metal primer and then out with the air brush! Hope it all goes well!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Re: BR Conflat L (Shunter's runner)

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:55 pm

John McAleely wrote:I'm very pleased with the result.

And I think you have every right to be pleased!

Looks like something that can be on a certain stand at a certain exhibition towards the end of September!

Terry Bendall

Return to “Wagons”