Brake gear

David B

Brake gear

Postby David B » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:04 pm

Does anyone know of any diagrams that show the layout of various brake gear arrangements? I am making a model of a GWR Cordon which has several brake gear versions from 2 blocks on one side only to fully vacuum fitted. However, I cannot find any suitable photographs and the instructions are less that helpful. This dearth of reference material is more widespread, but any pointers would be gratefully received.

David Brandreth

Mike Garwood

Re: Brake gear

Postby Mike Garwood » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:39 pm

What time period is the wagon being modelled?

Mike

Dave K

Postby Dave K » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:21 pm

What type of Cordon & wagon number are you modelling :?:

David B

Postby David B » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:44 am

It's the 2 tank Cordon and an early version, pre 1910ish. Not set on the number - this depends on information I can get.

David

Dave K

Postby Dave K » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:26 pm

davidb wrote:It's the 2 tank Cordon and an early version, pre 1910ish. Not set on the number - this depends on information I can get.

David

Then I think you are intending to build a 'DD5'. There are photos (plus text) of 4 of this type in Tourret's GWR Goods Wagons, nos. 3, 7, 9 & 13. I also see what you mean by different types of brake gear and also running gear as all 4 have either different brakes or springs.

There also is a excellent photo of the end of number 7 showing the piping and gauges at the end of the tanks.

johnWM

Postby johnWM » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:43 pm

You refer to instructions.
The David Geen kit contains a history of all the DD5 cordons with when each had its brakes altered. So I am assuming your starting point is a different kit.
There are also diagrams of the 3 main brake types used included in the instructions. Numbers 1 to 11 when built were fitted with simple screw operated brakes, similar to early brake vans. Some of these were altered from this arrangement in 1904.
Numbers 12 to 17 were built with lever operated brakes and were vacuum fitted. After 1904, some of 1 to 11 were fitted with vacuum cylinders, some retained the screw pedestal and had vacuum cylinders added. That is the situation up to 1910 and a good few years beyond for most of them. Number 11 had either side screw operated brakes (whatever they looked like!)fitted in august 1904. Later in life, some had Dean Churchward and later again some had Morton brakes and a lot of other varaitions.
There were lots of other detail variations though. They seem to have had different hand rails on the end, the strapping holding the tanks down varied in its position. The little steps (rather like the steps up to the footplate of a loco) varied in shape and position. etc etc. Each one seems to have been a custom build on a second hand chassis, despite the common diagram number.
The David Geen instructions also include some of the area allocations for them.
I was wondering, are you building from the Falcon brass kit?

johnWM

Postby johnWM » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:02 pm

I have come across another couple of photos. In Great Western Wagons Appendix JHRussell No 3 and No 17 are shown photographed in 1949 and 1952 respectively.
No 3 is fitted with outrigged clasp brakes and the floor is raised as a low platform at one end, so seems to be a bit of an odd one on two counts. The David Geen instructions states that this is the only one that he knows can't be built from their kit.
I would say that number 17 can't be built from the Geen kit either and would be a bigger problem than number 3 for the following reason. All the other photos I have seen (numbers 1, 3, 7,9,13 and 14), have gas tanks made from steel plates roughly equal in length, for number 17 the centre plate sections are considerably narrower than the plates making up the outer sections of the tanks.

David B

Postby David B » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:20 am

Thank you. I am tracking down the Tourret's book which sounds useful.

I am making the David Geen kit, but the photographs are photocopies of photographs and not at all clear for the underframe. It is the arrangement of 'bits' on the underframe that I am having difficulty with - what V hangers, rodding, and so on are there and how are they arranged? I have hunted through other kit instructions, but I have very few and can't find what I want. I suspect the layout would not vary as much as the different versions through the wagon's life: a Churchward vacuum would be similar on different wagon types, as would the Morton arrangement.

David B

Dave K

Postby Dave K » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:13 pm

I've just had a thought and had a look in Russell's "A Pictorial Record of Great Western Wagons" and found four more photos of Cordon's, two each of No. 9 and 14. The ones of 14 could be particularly useful to you as they are both 3/4 views (one of which is a close up of the end with values and piping).

Hope this of help to you although the book is quite old, first published in 1971.

David B

Postby David B » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:02 am

I have got hold of the Tourrett book and it is very informative - it is also an interesting read!

Thank you for your help.

David B

Return to “Wagons”