GCR Diagram 17 van

Bob Ellis

GCR Diagram 17 van

Postby Bob Ellis » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:42 pm

I have recently acquired an etched brass kit for a GCR 10 ton van to Diagrams 17 and 17A produced by R & E models and marketed by Brassmasters. Peter Tatlow's "LNER Wagons Volume 1" states that these vans were first produced in 1910, but the instructions with the kit state that production began in 1912. Can anyone tell me which (If either) date is correct? I need to know because my layout represents autumn 1910, so I can just about justify one of these vehicles if Tatlow is correct, but if the kit instructions are right then the van is too late for my period.

Best wishes,
Bob Ellis
Bob Ellis

Modelling Hawes (NER/MR) c.1905

davebooth

Re: GCR Diagram 17 van

Postby davebooth » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:07 am

Bob Ellis wrote:I have recently acquired an etched brass kit for a GCR 10 ton van to Diagrams 17 and 17A produced by R & E models and marketed by Brassmasters. Peter Tatlow's "LNER Wagons Volume 1" states that these vans were first produced in 1910, but the instructions with the kit state that production began in 1912. Can anyone tell me which (If either) date is correct? I need to know because my layout represents autumn 1910, so I can just about justify one of these vehicles if Tatlow is correct, but if the kit instructions are right then the van is too late for my period.

Best wishes,
Bob Ellis

I'm not in any position to be certain Bob, but Peter Tatlow has to be one of our most learned modellers when we are considering LNER or it's constituent railways' freight vehicles. My experience when carrying out vehicle research is that I have never found Mr Tatlow to be in error. Given that I had to make your decision I would go to Peter Talow as being correct.
A nice example of his expertise is that I impulse purchased a LNER builder's wagon plate. Only when I got it home did I realise that I had absolutely no knowledge of what it had once been fixed too. Given the wagon number, Peter was able to give me the full detail of that particular wagon.

Bob Ellis

Re: GCR Diagram 17 van

Postby Bob Ellis » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:22 pm

Thanks Dave,
I hope you are right. If so, I can just about justify a brand spanking new van on my layout. :)
Best wishes,
Bob Ellis

Last bumped by Bob Ellis on Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:22 pm.
Bob Ellis

Modelling Hawes (NER/MR) c.1905

Return to “Wagons”