16 Tonners

Serjt-Dave

16 Tonners

Postby Serjt-Dave » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:03 pm

Just finished a batch of B.R 16 ton Mineral Wagons. A mixed bag of different components to make these. Parkside and Airfix bodies, some have Masokit brake gear and MJT bits, all have different springy bits. I built them like this to see which ones I prefer, but then discovered Rumney chassis. So from now on they will be made from Rumney chassis and Parkside bodies. As I not done any painting or weathering for a very long time I wanted to try different techniques. I ended up with just using weathering powders. Overall happy with the results and certainly good enough to be rake fillers.
Attachments
1 A Wagon Group.jpg
1 A Wagon5.jpg
1 Wagon 4.jpg
1 A Wagon 3.jpg
1 A Wagon 2.jpg
1 A Wagon 1.jpg

RobM

Re: 16 Toners

Postby RobM » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:28 pm

.....and very nice they look, I like the more subtle weathering..... :thumb
I've recently completed my 6th, Parkside bodies and Bill Bedford under frames. Would liked to have used Justin's frames but cataracts have for the time being put them on hold. Can just about manage the BB frames.
Rob
http://www.robmilliken.co.uk
Updated December 2016

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:32 pm

These really are exceptionally good. I've got a bunch of 16 tonners to finish and then move on to painting/weathering, but I'd never thought of using weathering powders only and I'd never have guessed that that's all you used (I assume that you used a base coat of paint?). What make of powders do you use? I haven't got any as yet and a recommendation that has the pootential in the right hands to give results like these would be much appreciated.

DT

RobM

Postby RobM » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:18 pm

Just added 3 of my 6 16 tonners on my workshop thread... https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=5586&start=125 ...an alternative to weathering powders using acrylic paint.
Rob
Updated December 2016

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:33 pm

Thanks Rob and Dave.

I know what you mean Rob. I think one or two of them have the BB W irons and springing. I'm just about finishing off A Rumney milk tank and I like the way Justin has designed the chassis. The 16 ton chassis looks like it builds in the same way. I'm hoping by the tenth one muscle memory will have kicked in.

David. Yes bodies and chassis were primed and painted, sprayed using Precision paints. Then glossed over numbering applied then matted. I used Humbrol powders. I used to use Carrs but couldn't get any at the time. The Humbrol ones are a little more grainy than the Carr ones. I've just remembered that on the cleaner wagons I used some Precision rust colour in patches first then rubbed powders into the patches.

When I weathered the first wagon B208377 I thought I have gone overboard with the weathering as my time period is the 50's and the wagons were relatively new {as in under ten years old} so wanted to keep them in a good condition. The next batch I do I would like to try using washes first then apply the matt top coat.

Dave

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:40 pm

Hi Rob, just seen your post. To be honest I'm not a lover of acrylic paints. I think I still model in the 1980's. LOL. I have very little experience of them but have watched many You Tube videos of others using them. Other friends who do Military modelling swear by them. I think I'll start by painting figures first with acrylics and see how I get on with them.

Dave

RobM

Postby RobM » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:49 pm

Serjt-Dave wrote:Hi Rob, just seen your post. To be honest I'm not a lover of acrylic paints. I think I still model in the 1980's. LOL. I have very little experience of them but have watched many You Tube videos of others using them. Other friends who do Military modelling swear by them. I think I'll start by painting figures first with acrylics and see how I get on with them.

Dave

Dave, painting mediums can be a nightmare.......fortunately painting was a serious hobby for much of my life (which brought me an added income) until the 1990's when it then became my full time job and I have worked and developed techniques in many varieties of mediums. In the main the acrylics I use are artist quality paints which I am very familiar with. However, the job you have done with your methods are excellent
Rob
Updated December 2016

Noel

Postby Noel » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:00 pm

Serjt-Dave wrote:When I weathered the first wagon B208377 I thought I have gone overboard with the weathering as my time period is the 50's and the wagons were relatively new

BR Lot 2685 built by Pressed Steel in 1955. BR in the 1950s were still repainting 16T minerals, officially every 5 years, later extended to every 7.
Noel

Return to “Wagons”