Bachmann 4 CEP

Simon Glidewell

Bachmann 4 CEP

Postby Simon Glidewell » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:08 pm

Has anyone converted the Bachmann 4 CEP to P4, retaining the original drive unit? I've had one knocking around for several years but don't know whether to keep it or flog it. If I could convert it to P4 without too much hassle and expense (unlike my P4 Bachmann 2 EPB which was very tricky the way I did it, and expensive) I'd keep it and change it to the less numerous but otherwise prototypical 3 CEP and use it on St. Mary Hoo.

Simon

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: Bachmann 4 CEP

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:42 pm

Is that one that Branchlines do replacement wheels for?
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Simon Glidewell

Postby Simon Glidewell » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:03 pm

Not sure Keith. The main problem are the weird integral wheel bearings which double up as electrical pick ups. These usually have to be removed and replaced with pin point bearings. It's more the motor bogie I'm concerned about.

All the best
Simon

JFS

Postby JFS » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:01 pm

Hello Simon,

I did it very simply - for the motor bogie, by pulling the original wheels off the stub axles and pushing Ultrascale ones on in their place. A lot needs filing off the inside of the frames but otherwise that is all there is to it. It could fairly be described as abusive treatment of the Ultrascale wheels but it works and is dead easy. Of course only Ultrascale wheels will do as they alone have extension bosses on the inside. I have done a CEP, an EPB and an MLV - all share the same drive mechanism. A big advantage of the converted motor bogie compared with the original is that all that dreadful sideplay gets taken out - no washering needed thanks to the bosses on the backs of the wheels.

For the trailers, the society stores do a replacement plastic bolster to space out the frames - the electrical connections in the side frames need to be split to avoid the axles shorting. Again I used Ultrascale wheels.

You can see that I shorted one side on each wheelset so that each wheelset picks up off one rail. You, of course, might have alternative solutions in that department...

Herewith a couple of quick pics. this is the MLV which must have taken all of an hour to do.

MLV 1.jpg

MLV 2.jpg

Cheers,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:55 pm

Simon Glidewell wrote:Not sure Keith. The main problem are the weird integral wheel bearings which double up as electrical pick ups. These usually have to be removed and replaced with pin point bearings. It's more the motor bogie I'm concerned about.

All the best
Simon

I thought Branchlines did wheels for the motor bogie similar to the ones they do for DMUs, possibly for the trailers as well that you could use with the society replacement bolsters. I used 6 driving axles worth for the10001 and I'm sure he said they were produced for the EMUs, they come complete on stub axles that just plug into the gearmuffs. Suggest you call them or email.
Regards
Keith
PS. Unlike the Ultrascales shown above Branchlines normal wheelsets are already shorted one side for the pick up.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Simon Glidewell

Postby Simon Glidewell » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:27 am

Many thanks Howard and Keith; I shall investigate both of your suggestions.

All the best
Simon

Return to “Railmotors, Railcars and Multiple Units”