Heljan Railbus

Hardwicke

Heljan Railbus

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:23 pm

Whose wheels do you recommend for a Heljan Railbus?
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Russ Elliott

Re: Heljan Railbus

Postby Russ Elliott » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:15 pm

Looks like standard 2mm axles to me, so any 12mm disc wheels will do.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:54 pm

I would suggest the Branchlines (other firms produce the same wheels) all nickel wheels. You can press off the insulated one quite easily, then press on the gears.

Did the same with a Heljan Hymek.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:39 pm

I'm trying to remember what I used for the Hymek. I think I used Gibsons. However I have some PC 12mm wheels lying around. Metal too. A possible conversion. Seeing as I've just got back from climbing the Devon and Cornish banks behind Napier power (the Western was not available sadly) I'm all fired up for things South West.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:15 pm

Tim V wrote:I would suggest the Branchlines (other firms produce the same wheels) all nickel wheels. You can press off the insulated one quite easily, then press on the gears.

Did the same with a Heljan Hymek.

Also, exactly what I've just done with a Heljan parcels railcar.
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

barhamd

Postby barhamd » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:17 pm

Would P4 'blackbeetle' wheels do for the Waggon und Maschinenbau? I'm measuring the wheels as ~13mm in diameter with my calipers so I guess I go for the 12mm?

thanks
David Barham

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:57 am

barhamd wrote:Would P4 'blackbeetle' wheels do for the Waggon und Maschinenbau?

This would depend on the design of the OO wheels, what sort of axles and the axle diameter. Black Beetle wheels are available on conventional pin point axles in 12mm and 14mm diameter and they do some with stub axles to push into a central gear. Others have an extension axle on the outside depending on what they are designed for. BB axles are normally 2mm diameter

The existing OO wheel may be 13mm diameter but that does not mean that is what the prototypes scales down to. Might be worth checking if you can.

Terry Bendall

barhamd

Postby barhamd » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:45 pm

The CLAG website at http://www.clag.org.uk/wheelbase.html says all the Railbuses were 3' wheels so I'll go for the 12mm

thanks
David

Return to “Railmotors, Railcars and Multiple Units”