SR 4 SUB EMUs

JFS

SR 4 SUB EMUs

Postby JFS » Wed May 25, 2011 8:44 pm

Hello All,

Would anyone be willing to share their experiences of building 4mm kits for the SR 4 SUB EMU (1951)?

There seem to be quite a number of kits available from Phoenix, Blacksmith etc., but I can't seem to find many write-ups around the place.

So, before I shell out a fortune on spec, I would be very appreciative of any feedback from members.

Many thanks,

Howard.

Armchair Modeller

Re: SR 4 SUB EMUs

Postby Armchair Modeller » Thu May 26, 2011 1:44 pm

Hi Howard

Not the answer you were looking for - but these look easy to build...

http://www.radleymodels.com/page/southern_region

There's one on Ebay at the moment showing the body castings etc. more clearly

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EMU-kit-Southern- ... 35b25ced4e

Richard

JFS

Postby JFS » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:17 pm

Hi Richard,

Many thanks for this. I had a look at them at S4um and I think you are right - they would be quick and easy! Great if you are modelling Clapham Jct and need a few hundred vehicles, but I can't help feeling that a little more care over the pattern making could have made them even better. I am still not too sure which way to go, so I am building a Roxey 2 NOL, then a 3 SUB until I can make my mind up.

Best Wishes,

Howard.

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:29 pm

Glad you have a plan, Howard. Mr Roxey must be quite pleased too, I would imagine.

I'm not sure about the EMUs though! The only BR-era photos I can find of Minories (SR) show R1s and later H Class 0-4-4Ts on Push-Pulls on the shuttle service from New Cross or New Cross Gate. I never realised it was ever electrified beyond the connection with the East London line before closure. I can only guess that you are using a bit of modeller's licence by assuming that the Southern's 1930s planned electrification of the station was resurrected after WW2, instead of being abandoned altogether?

Richard

Return to “Railmotors, Railcars and Multiple Units”