LNWR Railmotor

MarkS

LNWR Railmotor

Postby MarkS » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:44 pm

I am finishing (renovating?) a Mallard models LNWR railmotor for a friend, but apart from the roof and interior it is complete, almost ready for paint.
The main area of concern is the interior, since I need to build a representation of it. Does anyone know of how the passenger area was configured? It seems to be a central aisle 'saloon' arrangement, but it is hard to tell which way the seats face, and how many seats per side.
I don't know if the instructions indicated any of this, since they are long gone...
Cheers,

Mark.
"In the end, when all is said and done, more will have been said than done..."

Jol Wilkinson

Re: LNWR Railmotor

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:48 am

Mark,

there is a drawing of the 57' version in LNWR Coaches by Jenkinson on page 148.

This shows seating for 24 passengers in each of the two open "saloons". The seats are in two rows of six, either side of the aisle. It is a little difficult to work out exactly how they are laid out but it appears that the seats at the ends of the saloons faced towards each other (with the backrests against the ends of the saloon) while the remaining four may have been reversible with pivotting backrests. The accompanying photos show that the tops of the backrests appeared just above the bottom edge of the windows. There is a photo on the LNWR Society Webbsite at http://www.lnwrs.org.uk/Carriages/Lnwrs1528P.php.

Interestingly the photos show railmotor No 3 with louvres in the engine compartment end doors, while the prototype, No. 1, has glass windows. There is little about them in Jenkinson's text. He appears to have been more interested in the more luxurious stock rather than the poor people's means of transport.

Jol

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:56 pm

Thanks Jol!
Very useful.
I believe I know someone with that book who can provide me a scan. (Otherwise I may be back, cap in hand, so to speak...)

I note that Jenkinson's model (below) doesn't seem to have an interior, so your comment on his lack of interest about "poor people's means of transport" appears quite correct!
I will be doing the full glorious LNWR plum & white lined gold and have your article in MRJ bookmarked for a re-read...
Thanks again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,

Mark.

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:02 pm

Hi Mark,

I started on an LNWR Raillmotor many years ago, but it was beyond my skills at the time, so I sold it unfinished.

I'd like another go now, but Blacksmith no longer list it and I haven't noticed one on eBay, so I'll have to content myself with (slowly) building more LNWR carriages.

Regards,

Jol

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:18 pm

Hi Jol,
would you have an idea or educated guess as to interior colours for the railmotor?
I assume the walls and floor would be a dark "wood brown",
but what colour would the seats likely be?
Cheers,

Mark.

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:13 pm

Hello Mark,

I don't have to hand the two books most likely to give some guidance on this, the HMRS LNWR Liveries or West Coast Joint Stock.

However, at the Wigan Show there was a 7mm LNWR Observation Coach on the TMS stand which also had the reversible seats backs (tram seats?). The upholstery was painted a light blue, based on the preserved coach on the Blubell Line. The photos in Jenkinson also shows the tops of the seats as a light shade.

I expect the interior woodwork would have been teak or mahogany, the letter being darker with a redder hue.

Jol

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:12 pm

Thanks Jol,
the few old photo's I've managed to find on the web indicate a light colour, so your supposition is as good as any!
I went to the Bluebell site, gives me a much better idea of the seats too.
http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/blueb ... o_int.html
Cheers,

Mark.

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:44 am

Hello Mark,

I think it is reasonable to suppose that the seat material used by the Bluebell would be based on a sample from the preserved coach before it was restored. Whether that was original LNWR material is difficult to say.

Unfortunately, while there is a lot of information about LNWR carriages, details of the interior decor, especially for the lower ranking vehicles, is sparse. I'll post a query on the LNWR Society Forum.

Jol

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:03 pm

Mark,

Philip Millard, the recognised authority on LNWR Carriages, has just advised through the LNWR Society forum as follows;

"Authentic upholstery colours unknown, but I associate blue with first class. I would have suggested green or perhaps fawn/light brown with a pattern."

That's as good as it gets!

Regards,

Jol

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:24 pm

Decisions, decisions...
When I have built up the interior, I will paint in the known colours (floors and walls), then "see" which seat colour seems to work best.
Photos will follow, but it will be a while.
Many thanks!
Cheers,

Mark.

Sapper

Postby Sapper » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:54 pm

Hello Mark
I have been building one of these on and off (mostly off) for a long time now and have just noticed your thread regarding the interior fittings etc. I have got the original Mallard drawings which came with the kit and these show 2 banks of 24 seats (reversible) in the two saloons. If it is not too late I would be happy to scan these and e-mail them onto you. I did get some reversible seat etchings used for trams but these seemed rather small and the end frames are a different shape from those on the preserved Bluebell coach, which I would imagine are the same for the railmotor knowing how careful Crewe was. I can send you some prints of the seats as well if this would help.

Regards

Sapper

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:05 pm

Hi Sapper,
Thanks for the offer, but I managed to borrow a copy of the instructions from a friend (& local LNWR enthusiast) who will be building his kit 'someday'...
I have put it aside for the moment waiting for a roof and some other bits to arrive from the from the owner.
In the meantime I am pondering the seats, but since they are not too visible I may go the impressionist route for the seat ends, not sure yet.
Cheers,

Mark.

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:08 pm

I found this site with a number of pictures of the railmotor - http://www.dyserth.com/html/dyserth-pre ... lway1.html
Cheers,

Mark.

Return to “Railmotors, Railcars and Multiple Units”