Heljan GWR Railcar

shipbadger

Heljan GWR Railcar

Postby shipbadger » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:27 am

Yesterday two GWR Railcars arrived on my workbench. Knowing that each time a manufacturer brings out a new DMU/Railcar model they seem to alter how the drive system and bogies have been put together I refrained from ordering any wheels or other items like stepped axles in advance.

Having released all six clips that hold the bottom of the bogie on I was faced with a new conundrum, the axles appear to be of 1.5mm diameter. My initial thoughts are to make new longer axles and then sleeve the ends to 2mm to take Branchlines/Steam Era wheels.

Has anyone else looked at this model yet? Has anyone any words of wisdom concerning my proposed route to conversion. The obvious alternative would have been to open everything up to 2mm diameter, but I don't think the axle mounted gear will take opening up without splitting or becoming weak and I'm not betting on spares being easily available if it does split.

Tony Comber

Andrew Ullyott

Re: Heljan GWR Railcar

Postby Andrew Ullyott » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:40 pm

Not yet Tony, but mine arrived this week too and I'll be watching with interest.
Based on what you've said, a 2mm OD, 1.5mm ID bush/sleeve for Branchlines or Gibson wheels would be my first thought also. As you say, this might mean you can use the existing gears?

Return to “Railmotors, Railcars and Multiple Units”